Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Poison Oak Finder
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still looking to find a new fork for my klein Mantra. The Marzocchi MX Pro ETA struck my fancy as a fork that fits my needs. However, there is not a handlebar option for the lockout and, for me, the lockout won't get used unless I can get to it easily.

In looking at other Marzocchi forks, the XC series also seems to fit my needs. I'm just a little cinfused on the differences between the 600/700 and 600SL/700SL. The 600/700 has an air/coil spring setup while the SL's have air only. What is the difference in handling, response, etc. between these types of forks?

I'm not sure if I need/want the added features on the SL, but I don't see a lot of other manufacturers offering coils (in an XC fork), so I am uncertain about the 600/700 fork.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
The coil models will have better small bump compliance and the air models will probably have better bottom out resistance, that is just the behavior of the corresponding spring type.

You can also take a look at the Rock Shox Reba (for Air) or the new coil Revelation U-turn if you want to go with coil.... both offer the poplock versions for lockout from the handlebars.

·
Poison Oak Finder
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crisillo said:
The coil models will have better small bump compliance and the air models will probably have better bottom out resistance, that is just the behavior of the corresponding spring type.

You can also take a look at the Rock Shox Reba (for Air) or the new coil Revelation U-turn if you want to go with coil.... both offer the poplock versions for lockout from the handlebars.
I was looking at the Reba's too, but three different local bike shops tried to steer me away from them. The service guys told me to stick with Marzocchi or Fox for reliability. My only experience is with Manitou. There are limited reviews for the 07 forks here, so I'm trying to get as much input as possible. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Well if you look at these boards, Reba, Revelation and Pike have been "generally" praised. They are super easy to service and construction is great. They are a great alternative to Fox and Marzocchi at lower price points.... Fox and Marzocchi are great too..I'm not bashing them, just think that you get more for your money with RS' current offerings...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.