Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
that we still refer to clipless pedals as clipless pedals?

I guess it's a holdover term from the days of yore when the cool kids had toeclips.

But today, "clipless" really means "clipful", doesn't it?

You "clip in" and you hope that you never "unclip" at an inopportune moment.

Lay people don't know what the heck we're talking about. A friend of mine was asking me the other day if I had clips on my pedals and I said no homes i'm clipless and then he's all "don't they make it easier to ride up hills though?" and I'm all oh, I thought you were asking if I had the old skool clips, which were not really clips at all, but straps. I have the new skool clips which are more like clips, but they're called clipless.

Maybe they should be referred to as "strapless".

discuss.

edit, typos and stuff

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
w00t! said:

I guess it's a holdover term from the days of yore when the cool kids had toeclips.

Lay people don't know what the heck we're talking about. A friend of mine was asking me the other day if I had clipless pedals and I said no and then he's all "don't they make it easier to ride up hills though?" and I'm all oh, I thought you were asking if I had the old skool clips, which were not really clips at all, but straps. I have the new skool clips which are more like clips, but they're called clipless.

discuss.
Toeclips are the hard part that mounts to the front of the pedal and the straps go around and can be tightened. Next discussion :D

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeng said:
Toeclips are the hard part that mounts to the front of the pedal and the straps go around and can be tightened. Next discussion :D
yes, I knew that, having been a roadie when you were still struggling to stay within the lines in your coloring books. :D

But they still weren't really "clips" per se.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
w00t! said:

Lay people don't know what the heck we're talking about. A friend of mine was asking me the other day if I had clipless pedals and I said yeah and then he's all "don't they make it easier to ride up hills though?" and I'm all oh, I thought you were asking if I had the old skool clips, which were not really clips at all, but straps. I have the new skool clips which are more like clips, but they're called clipless.

discuss.

edit, typo.
I had never heard of these before - but they sound great. I might go for a drive in my horseless carriage later get some!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.