Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New BB7 mechanical discs on my SC Superlight. The fork is a new Manitou Skareb 80 mm. from 2004 but never used. When I apply the brakes, they chatter, shudder, I'm not sure of the most descriptive word, but it's very pronounced. They're new and everything is fine mechanically. Could it be the fork not being stout enough for a disc or the brakes not broken in properly? It must be one of the two. Everything was OK with rim brakes. Thanks for any help.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I had the same issue. I downloaded the manual off of the SRAM site and followed the instructions, esp the part about adjusting the inner and outer pad spacing. If the rotor flexes when the lever is pulled, they'll chatter. It's critical the the inner pad be as close as possible to the rotor, only the outer pad moves when the lever is pulled. If the inner pad is too far from the rotor, when the lever is pulled the rotor has to snake/flex between the pads and chattering occurs.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
It is very normal for the Avid's to chatter when new. My 2008 BB7s chattered very badly for the first hundred miles or so, but they smoothed out very nicely as they bedded in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.