Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or I should say, new lust. Bike lust. I swore I would not succumb to it this year, since I've already got 6 bikes. I should never have taken that spin on a friend's bike!

It started innocently enough at the local BMX track's open house to kick off the season. I brought my sturdy Haro cruiser, whose diet program had it slimmed to a "svelt" 24 lbs from around 30 at birth. I was pondering whether or not to squeeze BMX races on Friday nights into my already crowded schedule, but was there to take advantage of the free practice session. When I arrived, one of the moms who ran the registration desk recognized me and called me by name. She wondered where I'd been last summer, and I told her about my wrist surgery. She told me that there were now a few other women in my class, and I wouldn't have to race with the guys. I felt welcomed.

I signed my waiver and went up to wait my turn at the gate. Midway through the first practice lap, I was giggling like a schoolgirl. My inner child had come out to play. Afterward, I immediately headed to the car for my checkbook and renewed my license for the year.

I went back for another lap, and another, and another. That first hill was far less intimidating than it was when I first started two years ago. I was getting the rhythm of the track, though I realized I could use some coaching regarding the best approach to turns. This practice session involved a lot of dodging some of the wee kids who were not riding straight lines, and others who would suddenly slow down, stop or crash. Finer skills honing would have to wait for a less crowded day.

On rest breaks between laps, I would watch the expert kids launch over the doubles, landing smooth as silk, on the far slope. In my dreams, I can do that, but only in my dreams. In reality, I keep my wheels close to the ground.

As I wandered around, I ran into another woman rider and we traded stories. While we were standing around, a mutual friend, Dave, joined the conversation. When I raced two years ago, Dave and I had exactly the same bike. He won't be riding this year because he's got some external metal bracing on one ankle - broken while snowboarding over the winter. However, he was there with his kids and a new bike, a shiny white Brew cruiser with FMF Powermoto wheels. This is where I ran into trouble. He offered to let me and my new friend Donna take it for a spin. She came back after a lap, raving at how quick and light it was. I lifted it and felt its lightness as Dave told me it weighs a scant 19 lbs. I knew better than to do this, but I leaned my Haro against a tree and wheeled the Brew up to the gate. By the top of the second jump, I was smitten. Between the weight and the much shorter chainstays, it felt like it jumped forward at the push of a pedal. Accelerating out of turns was a snap. The Haro felt sluggish by comparison. "I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike, I don't need another bike," I told myself. I don't need just any other bike, I need a Brew cruiser.

It's on order and will be here in a couple weeks. *giggle*

Kathy :^D

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
I checked out the Brew frames - they look pretty freaking sweet. Not cheap though.
I'd love to see some pics of that bike in action when you get it.

·
Olde Phartette
114 Posts
Wow, you made my heart sink!

And brought a tear to my eyes!

I would watch the expert kids launch over the doubles, landing smooth as silk, on the far slope. In my dreams, I can do that, but only in my dreams. In reality, I keep my wheels close to the ground.
I was the BMX Mom. Used to load up our Jeep Wagoner with kids and bikes and drive them 30 miles to the nearest BMX track.

I can't even begin to tell you (well maybe you understand) the feeling of watching my son sail over those doubles and yes some triples as graceful as any dancer, it was beautiful to see him make music on his bike. My heart soared, never once did I think he would get hurt cuz he never crashed he landed as graceful as could be!

Taking the kids to the track definitely gave me a passion for bike riding and back then I never even thought I would ride a bike let alone do century rides! lol

Thanks for the read Kathy it was great to hear what you've been up to.

Kate aka: Missy

·
Registered
656 Posts
bikerchic said:
And brought a tear to my eyes!

I was the BMX Mom. Used to load up our Jeep Wagoner with kids and bikes and drive them 30 miles to the nearest BMX track.

I can't even begin to tell you (well maybe you understand) the feeling of watching my son sail over those doubles and yes some triples as graceful as any dancer, it was beautiful to see him make music on his bike. My heart soared, never once did I think he would get hurt cuz he never crashed he landed as graceful as could be!

Taking the kids to the track definitely gave me a passion for bike riding and back then I never even thought I would ride a bike let alone do century rides! lol

Thanks for the read Kathy it was great to hear what you've been up to.

Kate aka: Missy
Wow, hi Kate! I used to be skeeterr way back when. We rode together at the 1st(or was it the 2nd?) AZ Spring Fling. Good to *see* you around, and it seems, doing quite well.

Rita :)

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZtortoise said:
Wow, hi Kate! I used to be skeeterr way back when. We rode together at the 1st(or was it the 2nd?) AZ Spring Fling. Good to *see* you around, and it seems, doing quite well.

I was wondering if that was you! I was at that Fling, too.

Kathy :^)

·
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to hear from you! Doin' any riding lately? How's the grandkids?

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
You're my hero! BMX'ing after 40! Congrats on the new bike. I can't wait to hear more stories.

Mary Ann

·
Registered
656 Posts
Lucky said:
I was wondering if that was you! I was at that Fling, too.

Yeah, that be me. ;) You tried to convince me to ride your RacerX, I said no, 'cause I knew it would spoil me forever! That was a fun Fling. I hoped you could make it out this year...ah, well, maybe next year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.