Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIFO'd Whire Ranch solo this morning at 5:00 am. Temp was about 38 degrees with slight winds, not bad at all. Trail was clear for the most part, icy in the switchbacks that are north facing.

From the lower parking lot

Up a little higher

1st Intersection

Long Horn/ Short Horn / Whippletree instersection

The view headed into work

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
Man Jay, you are cruel.
I am hating myself right now after seeing those - looks great!
I can't think of that intersection - longhorn/shorthorn/whippletree in the 2nd to last pic? Is that where you're headed NW-ish, where longhorn goes down at the rocky intersection and shorthorn goes straight?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
i really need to try one of your lights... my 10(?)-year-old niterider headlamp just isn't cutting it.

(though i assure you it would be for PM darkness, not AM darkness, you freak.) ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good route for a 4-5 hr ride

Hey Scar, I'm from Ft Collins and I am dropping my daughter and a friend off at Flat Irons for some shopping this Sat. So I got about 8 hrs to kill. All my buddies in our 450club say to ride White Ranch. What is a good route to take through White Ranch starting at the HW 93 parking area? Looking for a lot of hills and about 4-5hrs of riding. Thanks.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Up belcher to the top. Descend mustang. Return to Belcher. Go back up to Maverick. Out maverick to long horn. make left on long horn to Rawhide. Rawhide counterclockwise back to parking/sawmill. Sawmill down to Maverick again, back out to Long horn. Go right on long horn all the way down. Take Whippletree out.

That's the big loop I do. eliminate the rawhide part and just go down Longhorn if you're gassed. there will be ice and snow on all routes.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My normal route at White Ranch is up Belcher to the LongHorn intersection (picture of me sitting at sign). Then I like to take that to the Short Horn/ Long Horn intersection, and continue on Short Horn to the upper parking lot. Used to then take Belcher all the way back down. Lately I have been turning around at the upper parking lot and going back down the same way I just came up. Go down to Whippletree intersection, then Whippletree around to Belcher, and Belcher back to the parking lot.

gotdirt - Anytime you want to try one out, just PM me.

peakspike - I would recommend the "Almost all rights" route. Here is a link - http://www.trailcentral.com/gps/gps_details.php?key=37. Click on the "View in Google Earth" tab to see the GPS track in Google Earth. Here is a link to the map - http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/whitemp.pdf

·
trail waggler
1,425 Posts
Shhh...

lidarman said:
Isn't the place closed from before 1 hr before sunrise? Or that there are campsites allow it to be open all night?
C.21. Curfew:
a) It shall be unlawful to enter, use, or occupy, Open Space
lands from one (1) hour after sunset to one (1) hour before
sunrise. Fine: $50.00
b) It shall be unlawful to park any vehicle and/or trailer on
Open Space lands during the established curfew without a
valid camping permit clearly posted on said vehicle.
Fine: $50.00

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
daveM said:
C.21. Curfew:
a) It shall be unlawful to enter, use, or occupy, Open Space
lands from one (1) hour after sunset to one (1) hour before
sunrise. Fine: $50.00
b) It shall be unlawful to park any vehicle and/or trailer on
Open Space lands during the established curfew without a
valid camping permit clearly posted on said vehicle.
Fine: $50.00
...but I think the rangers work bankers hours :)

You do realize that Jeffco watches this forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.