Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the bad weather around the Front Range the last couple weeks we managed to get down to Moab last weekend. Just what was needed 4 days of riding around 80 miles to get the legs going again, plus some hiking in the evenings around Sand Flats. Not sure but for me the desert sure seems to have some healing powers.....







Wish I got a pic of one of us going down this...it was steep.




Some randoms from hiking around camp with the dog.




Yep hiking with our friend Dale.




Couple more riding pics....








Feeling satisfied and we will be back in May...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
:thumbsup:

Are the first few from Bartlett Wash?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
steadyflow said:
Nope around Monitor and Merrimac
What are your thoughts on the ride around Monitor and Merrimac? I'm heading to Moab in late April for our tenth annual getaway and I have never done it. I've read the reviews and I was turned off by the amount of jeep roads it supposedly has. We were thinking of doing a night ride there, would you recommend it? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Furrydogs said:
What are your thoughts on the ride around Monitor and Merrimac? I'm heading to Moab in late April for our tenth annual getaway and I have never done it. I've read the reviews and I was turned off by the amount of jeep roads it supposedly has. We were thinking of doing a night ride there, would you recommend it? Thanks.
I've ridden it and wasn't very impressed. Lots of jeep roads, and pretty flat for the most part. On the other hand, my girlfriend, who is a beginner, liked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
The one time I rode Monitor and Merrimac I seem to remember it was mainly a (very) sandy road. There was one place where we played around on the slickrock, but other than that, afterwards I was pretty bummed we didnt choose a different ride that night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
I've camped at M&M several times and the ride is good for that I just got to Moab and set my tent up and I got time for a ride but not a drive and a ride, or a good evening ride from camp after a bigger early ride. It's cool because there are hardly ever any crowds at the end of the day and the terrain there feels a lot like back country skiing with lots of lines to choose from. The movie Roam has some good aerial group riding shots taken from riding there. It's also a fun place for doing some sessions droping rocks just off from the main trail on the slickrock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Furrydogs said:
What are your thoughts on the ride around Monitor and Merrimac? I'm heading to Moab in late April for our tenth annual getaway and I have never done it. I've read the reviews and I was turned off by the amount of jeep roads it supposedly has. We were thinking of doing a night ride there, would you recommend it? Thanks.
This is a really good area to ride in....there is more than meets the eye, or guidebook out that way.
 

·
not actually bad :)
Joined
·
1,768 Posts
Furrydogs said:
What are your thoughts on the ride around Monitor and Merrimac? I'm heading to Moab in late April for our tenth annual getaway and I have never done it. I've read the reviews and I was turned off by the amount of jeep roads it supposedly has. We were thinking of doing a night ride there, would you recommend it? Thanks.
I liked it. *

* It's hard to find something I don't like.

I would recommend - if you have a 4wd - driving out there, and biking around the buttes.
Biking out there would kinda suck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
You must've just missed the wind. Monday was wonderful in Moab. Tuesday high winds and worse in the afternoon. So we picked up and moved to Fruita. Guess what? Wednesday, high winds in Fruita! Followed us all the way home. Now you have us to thank for yesterdays high winds in the Front Range...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bittles said:
You must've just missed the wind. Monday was wonderful in Moab. Tuesday high winds and worse in the afternoon. So we picked up and moved to Fruita. Guess what? Wednesday, high winds in Fruita! Followed us all the way home. Now you have us to thank for yesterdays high winds in the Front Range...
Monday was really nice....we did not want to leave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
steadyflow said:
This is a really good area to ride in....there is more than meets the eye, or guidebook out that way.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Might do this as a mellow 2nd ride of the day ride. Maybe Sovereign in the morning and Merrimac in the evening.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
Furrydogs said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Might do this as a mellow 2nd ride of the day ride. Maybe Sovereign in the morning and Merrimac in the evening.
I thought Sovereign was a waste of time. But that is just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Wife and I are heading to Moab for the first time at the very end of the month. We are noobs to biking, so we will be doing beginner stuff like the M&M lollipop, Big Chief loop at Deadhorse SP, etc. Those pics are great! I can't wait to go experience that part of the country. Hopefully the weather will be perfect when we are there!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top