Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding up the local mountain today on the road, and suddenly my pedaling had very little effect. It was like my drivetrain had developed a badly slipping clutch. The flange and hub body had cracked clean through, and the star ratchet splines which thread into the hub body now stripped their threads and spun at will. I had to push up all the hills to get home. I hate pushing my bike.

This isn't to code:

The good news is that I think DT may warranty these (hopefully) and the new 240s are supposedly better sealed. The old ones were very poorly sealed. Just so long as they have something other than centerlock...

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
...and I was just thinking maybe you were over the curse! I guess that the "Bermuda Triangle" of bike components just needed to show you a reminder. I take it you never get a chance to get complacent.

Hope the mosquitoes and no-see-ums weren't too bad yet for the walk home. Back to Kings huh?

Rando

·
Team BikeWood
161 Posts
My older 240 did the same thing...

My older DT Hugi 240 did the same thing and DT warrantied it immediately with a brand new 240s. I heard that there was something about the anodizing process used on the older hubs that made the hub shells more brittle and prone to cracking. The new 240s is powdercoated and I haven't heard of any problems with them cracking.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Cheezy- Mine did the same thing a few months ago, I didin't even think to call them though since they were 5 years old, they rebuilt my rear hub in '02 with the new internals and it worked flawlessly until the flange cracked.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They rebuilt mine after a year too, but I did not see an improvement in the sealing at that point. They may have just put the same version of the seals in at that time. I'm not really that sorry to see the hub go. If I get a new one warrantied, I'll build it up. If not, I'll try a Hope in the back, though I won't be building anything until the fall.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Now repeat after me.

I should have bought King

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ouch! Do you remember what year that hub is? I have 99's and they have been really solid for me. I think I might be checking them a little more often after seeing that though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.