Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Whada u guys and gals ride to get to work in the city?

I'm on an old XC type mountain bike.... no sus...

I ride on the side of the road, with cars, go up and down curbs, run red lights (when its safe to) all for the sake of improving my time.

I ride about an hour one way to work, through the streets of western Tokyo.

Someday I'd like to get a light weight full sus XC bike to smooth out the ride. Any ideas on what would be a nice ride?

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I love my Trek 4900 hardtail (w/Thudbuster seatpost) for city commuting. Fat knobbies increase rolling resistance, which means a more challenging workout plus better traction and fewer flats.

Have a cheap light tied to front and a buzzer. No rear rack so I need a backpack to haul stuff.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
fixed gear crossbike. not so terrible around the longmont/boulder area. a little commute time when i lived in boston; that was much uglier, but very fun. used to live in eugene, oregon too; now that is a bike friendly town!

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
In the summer I commute on a Kona Roast with a single tiny chainring and a Manitou Sherman on the front haha. My knees hit the handlebars if I sit, pedal, and turn sharp at the same time. But damn it's fun for jumping on everything between here and work.

In the winter I'm on my 1997 Marin Quake Hardtail going fully rigid with my snowcats, 296 studs per tire, pogies, and converted dura-ace friction shifters...booya (I'm up here in Alaska BTW)

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I commute off-road as far as possible. Toronto is great for that. You can get all around the city by using the ravines -- amazing. I use a SIR9 29er. 12-20 miles in the morning, anything between 5 and 15 miles in the evening depending on how I feel.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
Tokyo rocks for riding. I really dug it when I was there. The traffic was no where near as bad as I thought it would be and the drivers are nice. I ride a nice fixy with front brake and fenders in the city . I just moved to the country and I'm pining for a disc equiped cyclocrosser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.