Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Whada u guys and gals ride to get to work in the city?

I'm on an old XC type mountain bike.... no sus...

I ride on the side of the road, with cars, go up and down curbs, run red lights (when its safe to) all for the sake of improving my time.

I ride about an hour one way to work, through the streets of western Tokyo.

Someday I'd like to get a light weight full sus XC bike to smooth out the ride. Any ideas on what would be a nice ride?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I drive to work, I might ride to work in the summer time, but it is just too wet and miserable right now in Vancouver.

It would also be about an hour and 15 minutes to ride to work and about 2 hours home. So i might just continue driving to work, since it only takes about 15 - 20 minutes, then hit up the gym after.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I ride a 94 rigid cannondale mtb for my commutes. It used to have a sus fork on it but I prefered the lower maintenance of a rigid. For that same reason I suggest you keep away from FS for a commuter - unless it's your only bike.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
I just finished building up an old G. Fisher, fully rigid, frame not to long ago. Granted I'm still getting the bugs out of the shifting system (mostly because I'm using old parts mixed with new and they don't seem to want to play together nicely) but I'm riding it and it's great. I agree about the maintenance issue. If I'm out on a recreational ride and my bike breaks down, it's inconveniant but not hurting anything. If I break down on the way to work I could lose pay, maybe even my job if it happens enough, and piece of mind because I'm worried about the above. Usually you don't care about the "potential" for break down until you do and then from that point on you always worry about it, at least a little bit. More so if its a major component of your bike and you have to gerry rig it to make it rideable.

If you do upgrade I would strongly suggest a touring/street (flatbar tourer) bike. Almost all of these I've seen come with fender AND rack mounts as well as road bike sized tires which can make the commute faster. You also tend to get higher gearing and less "flashy" parts which add to the speed and durability of the bike in the long term. Example...most touring bikes come with square taper bottom brackets which have proven themselves for durability and longevity. This also helps your overall costs because you won't have to replace parts very much like you probably would having a light XC full suspension bike.

I've never found my fully rigid bikes uncomfortable and I commute in Michigan and we have TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE roads. Lots of pot holes, cracks, "almost" pot holes, and bumps everywhere. I also usually choose frames that aren't a dedicated racer as these are optimized for, well...racing, which usually means stiff, stiff, stiff which equates to "feel every bump, feel every bump, feel every bump" when commuting. (I usually also usually choose steel which automatically makes it more comfortable than AL or Carbon....hmm, hm, hmm, ha, hmmmm.....(running away very fast now...hehe))

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I just came in from tweaking out my winter commuter / singlespeed / vintage / rigid /xc / expedition bike. Besides this I have a few other bikes that I use for commuting when things are drier and less slippery.

My primary winter commuter is a 1987 Kuwahara Cascade (rigid steelie) and I just spent an hour swapping the stock Deore's (I'm sure they were original) for my favourite Fishbone half steps...all it took was a torch and a 3 foot snipe on the pedal wrench to break the drive side pedal loose... LOL.

I also swapped the flat stock bars for some risers I took off my other commuter, (a Trek 7500 Multitrack) as I wanted a more hands up position for cruising and when I have to stand up on those pedals and hammer things. Mebbe that's why the pedal was siezed...

Anyways...this is what she looked like before the gears were reduced to a 38:18 and the new bars went on. She is an absolutely beautiful bike to ride in traffic, in the snow, on the trails, or even on the singletrack. The gearing is ideal for maintaining a decent speed on the roda and trail and still gives me room for some harder climbs.

My "Critter" hybrid... built on a road frame mated to 26 inch wheels and an SA 3 speed internal gear hub. I logged over 2000 km on this bike alone last year with nary a problem.

My "new" Trek 7500... the 700c cross wheels and Schwalbe Marathons should make my commute a blast.

I agree that a commuter needs to be solid and simple and set up to handle whatever your commute will throw at you... fenders and good lighting will really improve the ride and make things much safer.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
For me commuting is a means to an end.

The ends are for me are:

Better fitness for riding mountains.
Proving ground for bike mods.
Time in the zone.

Figure out what you want and do it, I ride a FS, cause its a great proving ground and at lunch in the summer we do a technical rides. I have only one best bike.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
My commute to work is an agressive affair as I stick to the paved routes to make time.

Here's what my bike looks like in her current incarnation as an SS.

On the trail home... this explains why I need a studded tire.

·
MONKEYMAN
791 Posts
This is working for me!

I've got about 8 miles round trip. I ride every day into downtown San Francisco. Dodging cabs and MUNI buses. I never run reds, people drive like drunk monkeys around here. I stick to the right side of the road and have been known to bunnyhop (Clean!) the curb when there is imminent squishitude.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I ride a Niner SIR9 w/studs in winter. The Niner rolls and rolls and rolls.

Commute is as long as I care to make it... generally 12-20 miles in the morning and 5-12 miles in the evening. It was a big breakthrough for me when I realized I could make the commute longer to make it more fun. I take it throught trails/singletrack whenever weather allows. Right now it is snowy hardpack and ice, a lot of fun.

I keep off the roads as far as I can.

·
Registered
497 Posts
"Agressive City Communting"
hmmm... either Cannondale will try to copyright this term or you'll be hearing from Specialized's attorneys that this somehow infringes on their "Freeroad" bikes name.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Weasel said:
"Agressive City Communting"
hmmm... either Cannondale will try to copyright this term or you'll be hearing from Specialized's attorneys that this somehow infringes on their "Freeroad" bikes name.
Yeah, when I thought of the title, I was just thinking about how I get to work.... But, its kinda a catchy phrase too!

Every once in a while I see the guy or gall slicing up the street and cars, jamin ! Always thought it was cool!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
600 miles/gallon

Battlecat said:
I drive to work, I might ride to work in the summer time, but it is just too wet and miserable right now in Vancouver.

It would also be about an hour and 15 minutes to ride to work and about 2 hours home. So i might just continue driving to work, since it only takes about 15 - 20 minutes, then hit up the gym after.
I use a Kona Primo Scandium hardtail. The frame is 3 pounds and the bike is below 20 with a titanium front fork.

A bit expensive but given that a rough estimate of efficiency is around the 600miles/gallon (in equivalent calories) and a car is in the tens of thousands :eekster: I feel good spending a tiny little bit more and have a nice commuter.

shine or rain I commute everywhere in San Francisco, everything in the city is 15-45' away :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Davide said:
I use a Kona Primo Scandium hardtail. The frame is 3 pounds and the bike is below 20 with a titanium front fork.

A bit expensive but given that a rough estimate of efficiency is around the 600miles/gallon (in equivalent calories) and a car is in the tens of thousands :eekster: I feel good spending a tiny little bit more and have a nice commuter.

shine or rain I commute everywhere in San Francisco, everything in the city is 15-45' away :)
Would you post a picture?

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Well I commute on the most inefficient bike ever made haha....my Kona Roast. The commute to work has become a roundabout path consisting of obstacles to try jump on en route. Currently I am trying a hop-to-manual down the curb in the parking lot of home depot. Eventually I would like to find a line all the way to work that resembles a street course :)

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
fmf said:
Hello.

Whada u guys and gals ride to get to work in the city?

I'm on an old XC type mountain bike.... no sus...

I ride on the side of the road, with cars, go up and down curbs, run red lights (when its safe to) all for the sake of improving my time.

I ride about an hour one way to work, through the streets of western Tokyo.

Someday I'd like to get a light weight full sus XC bike to smooth out the ride. Any ideas on what would be a nice ride?
I ride a Cannondale Black Lightning. Road bikes perform remarkably well on the road. With clean technique, you can handle curbs with skinny little tires.

I thought people in Tokyo never ran lights? Don't they come down pretty hard on that kind of behaviour?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dwight Moody said:
I ride a Cannondale Black Lightning. Road bikes perform remarkably well on the road. With clean technique, you can handle curbs with skinny little tires.

I thought people in Tokyo never ran lights? Don't they come down pretty hard on that kind of behaviour?
You'd be surprised how laid back the law is about running red lights on a bicycle.... u gotta do it safe and for sure not freakin drivers out or makin them slam the brakes, you know, flowin.... Motorcycles and runing red lights... thats another story.... but again they dont chase you down in a helicopter like some other places.... L.A.! Ha Ha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.