Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. I had my 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (27.5") stolen, and I'm looking for a replacement. I ride various cross country trails that are a mix of climbing, downhills, and single track, and I want a good all-around bike that's sporty an fun to ride. The local shop carries Specialized and Cannondale (and Trek at another), but of course choices are limited due to COVID-19. The few I've tried in my size (I'm 5'9", 165 lbs) and my price range (~$3500) such as the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy (S4) have felt like boats - the opposite of an agile and playful bike that I'd enjoy. I'd love some recommendations from you for bikes that would fill the bill. Ideally I'd like to try one first, but I'm open to suggestions. I hope that's enough detail. Thanks!

·
Rippin da fAt
9,220 Posts
Hi Folks. I had my 2016 Cannondale Habit 4 (27.5") stolen, and I'm looking for a replacement. I ride various cross country trails that are a mix of climbing, downhills, and single track, and I want a good all-around bike that's sporty an fun to ride. The local shop carries Specialized and Cannondale (and Trek at another), but of course choices are limited due to COVID-19. The few I've tried in my size (I'm 5'9", 165 lbs) and my price range (~$3500) such as the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy (S4) have felt like boats - the opposite of an agile and playful bike that I'd enjoy. I'd love some recommendations from you for bikes that would fill the bill. Ideally I'd like to try one first, but I'm open to suggestions. I hope that's enough detail. Thanks!
I'll stick with my RSD Wildcat, thankya. Hardtail, Middlechild.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are hardtails an option? I'm in PA and aside from bike parks, there's really not much mine can't handle. There's a few lighter ones, but for the most part bikes have gone away from trying to be lighter. Mine is about 32lbs which is about average for a FS. I know what you mean by feeling like a boat on the showroom floor, but hopefully you can demo one out in the wild. You'll be suprised how nimble and playful (I hate that I just used that word ... It's in every single piece of marketing material nowadays).

And personally I'd go Specialized or Trek over Cannondale. Used to love their bikes even just a few years ago, but I think they're kinda living off past reputation nowadays. At least that's my perception.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. Re: hardtail, the terrain here is often pretty bumpy - roots, rocks, stumps, etc. I rode a friend’s hardtail and I found it jarring. I’m glad you brought it up, though.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
I'd say in that price range, Ripley AF. 2 builds under $3500 so you can choose Shimano or Sram.
But you won't be able to ride one first, which I doubt will happen for almost anything right now.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are wanting to stick with the 27.5" wheel size, then I would throw in the Ibis Mojo 4 as it ticks all the boxes you provided. It may be above your price point though. As previously mentioned the Ripley AF might be a good alternative, if you would consider 29" wheels.

·
Inspector Gadget
877 Posts
Evil Calling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Inspector Gadget
877 Posts
What one would suggest that’s $3,500?
Gotta pay to play, sorry not sorry. Evil just stopped producing these frames, there’s used frames or complete bikes out there though. Most Evil fans state, the Calling is a bike they should have never sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
Gotta pay to play, sorry not sorry. Evil just stopped producing these frames, there’s used frames or complete bikes out there though. Most Evil fans state, the Calling is a bike they should have never sold.
This is flat out laughable.

There are plenty of bikes in his $3,500 price range that are fantastic bikes.

Idiotic attitudes like thinking you have to spend $6-$8k to mountain bike is only going to hold the sport back.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
428 Posts
Ibis AF series will super playfully and good value
Specialized
Polygon

Good as well

Cheers

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Well the Stumpjumper S4 is probably at least one size too big for you, so that could be why it felt like a boat. Your height puts you square in the middle for S3 size. You could probably even size down to an S2 if you wanted more playful.

Ibis Ripley AF is also a great bike at a great value, but again consider sizing down to make it more playful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts