Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, borrowed my buddy's TridentX. Charged it for 11 hours, and it died after 35 minutes on high during my 12 hour bike race this weekend. Left me peering into the woods with my 12 year old trail rat as backup...

Soooo everybody here loves Deal Extreme.. what is the simplest part combination to take the place of the tridentx which has 600 lumens.

TIA

jv

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
jvossman said:
Howdy, borrowed my buddy's TridentX. Charged it for 11 hours, and it died after 35 minutes on high during my 12 hour bike race this weekend. Left me peering into the woods with my 12 year old trail rat as backup...

Soooo everybody here loves Deal Extreme.. what is the simplest part combination to take the place of the tridentx which has 600 lumens.

TIA

jv
Sounds like there was a problem with the battery...NiMh or Li-ion? If you're doing 12hr bike races you need at least one good commercial grade ( or DIY ) light on the bars. If your buddy's light is using a NiMh battery maybe he/you can upgrade it with the Li-ion battery which should last longer and have better run times. Most NiMh batteries ( if not handled properly ) simply don't last more than a couple years before they lose the ability to store a charge.

·
American Icon
92 Posts
Not quite clear

Do you want to replace the battery (mine has been very reliable and lasts the full duration)? Maybe your friend should contact Cygolite and see what they can do??

OR

Are you asking what parts/pieces could be used to replicate the light and build your own?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fender Roads said:
Do you want to replace the battery (mine has been very reliable and lasts the full duration)? Maybe your friend should contact Cygolite and see what they can do??

OR

Are you asking what parts/pieces could be used to replicate the light and build your own?
Fender Roads is right, there's a good chance that Cygolite will be able to help. When I had an issue with my Dualcross, they were very responsive.

That said, a couple of TR 801s, at least 4 protected batteries, a charger and a two mounts from DX wouldn't be much more than $70. Add in a couple more TR 801s (two in the handlebars, two on the helmet - more than enough light for most situations) and the total is just north of $100.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Back to your original question/problem: the TridenX is not the problem. It sounds like your battery is bad. I have the Li-Ion battery for my TridenX and it takes 3.7 hours to charge and I get well over 2 hours on high, even in freezing weather. The NiMh version gets over 3 hours on high and should only take 4 hours to charge. Also, if you're running the light for 35 minutes on high during a 12 hour bike race, you didn't stand a chance to begin with. Low or low medium may have given you enough light for the race.

If your buddy had the NiMh battery and didn't take care of it and lost it's juice for an extended time, maybe that's the problem (don't forget, these batteries lose juice every day when they sit dormant). Either way, your best bet is to contact Cygolite by phone about this to find out what they think and what your options are. It's a fantastic light with a lot of features (and helmet mount) and you can adjust the brightness on-the-fly to make it last for your races. I think it would give you infinately less grief if you had a good battery.

One last note about another light setup: I think some of the new handheld LED lights are the way to go for light output and cost. I just got a Fenix L2D for just over $50 and with 2 of these, I'd say you could ride all night with a couple battery changes. Very impressive.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dear atv killer

Howdy, the lith ion light is less than 3 months old, I'll contact cyglolite. I didn't expect the light to go for the whole night, but simply a 55 min lap.

I had a vareity of lights to get me throughthe 12 hour, but you can only take two lights at a time and the combo of cygolite and dear old trail rat was what I had with me at that time. I had a niterider flamethrower and an old digitial evolution ready for my next lap. I ordered one P-7 and one cree 4, lets see what happens.

Thanks.

john v

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure how much use your NiMH battery has had recently, but if they sit for an extended period of time (over summer, on a store shelf, etc.) they will need a few cycles to reach full capacity again. Try discharging/recharging the battery a few times.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
jvossman said:
.... I ordered one P-7 and one cree 4, lets see what happens. ..Thanks.

john v
Since you ordered a P-7 torch you might want to keep an eye on this thread..> http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=472025 The thread starter, turboferret is working on a conversion package for MTE P-7 torches. He is also making battery holders for mult-18650 Li-ion cells. The conversion package coupled with the battery holder would make a rather nice handlebar setup for cheap....well...I hope it's cheap, no price has been set yet. So far a lot of us folks are waiting for the debut. Might be out sometime in Jan or Feb(?) ( I hope, I hope ) :ihih: ( Update:minutes after I posted this turboferret posted up with photo's of the proto-type! ..:) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.