Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Nope. Not aggressive enough.

Edit: if you want something slightly faster than a dhf, you can go DHR. I know people who swear they are noticeably faster than a dhf. Personally I can’t tell.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The good ole Ardent might be a good choice if you're looking for lighter/faster rolling vs. the DHF? Not quite as grippy, not quite as tough.
No. Nope. Not an Andent up front fan....
Yeah bike I just got has DHF/Aggressor setup. Would definitely move a Dhr up front if so equipped. I follow Jeff and the guys @ WorldWideCyclerys guidance. 😎
Was going to inquire in Tires forum but didnt want to get blasted by @OneSpeed for a double post.....

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
No. Nope. Not an Andent up front fan....
Yeah bike I just got has DHF/Aggressor setup. Would definitely move a Dhr up front if so equipped. I follow Jeff and the guys @ WorldWideCyclerys guidance.
Was going to inquire in Tires forum but didnt want to get blasted by @OneSpeed for a double post.....
The DHF/Aggressor is my favorite aggressive set up for NorCal/Tahoe. I've been tinkering with different MidPen tires the past year, places like Skeggs, Montebello where you don't need such a burly tire and fast rolling is rewarded. The tires I really like at the moment are the new Continental Cross Kings in the Black Chili compound. They are stiff and unforgiving, but roll very, very fast with decent grip. Very light as well.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Yeah, Ardent is a terrifying front tire... Way too drifty. Maybe for smooth XC with no dust, but at that point you have so many better choices.
I ran one on front last year for about 3 months or so. I like that drifty hookup feeling, but on hard dusty stuff maybe not the best. I believe I ran that tire at Demo last summer and liked it, but I can't recall exactly. The tire I liked at Demo on the Flow trail was the Vittoria Mezcal front and rear, surprised me a bit.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I honestly think the aggressor 2.5 works good up front on dry hard trails like I have around Auburn/Folsom/edh area. Ran one front and rear for a good while. Not great in mud or deep wet loam though.
I always thought a tire like a Minion SS or Aggressor would be a good bike park, pump track, flow trail front tire. A bit unorthodox, I know. But, fast rolling, with side knobs when you get out of line, in places where you don't need breaking performance so much as rolling speed and a little side knob insurance. I don't know how the linear stability on the front at high speed would be. I have yet to try this, however.

·
Registered
291 Posts
assegai/aggressor has been a dialed pair. Except when you need to brake on steep stuff - planning to try the dissector rear for that...was using a butcher in back, as it rolls faster than dhf.
Am getting ready to install the Assegai / Dissector combo on my bike soon-ish. Currently have the Minion DHF / DHR2 combo. Love the DHR2 for the super steep when it gets a bit wet. The Minion just does not do anything for me in the steeps. DHR2 seems a little overkill during the summer though so going to give the Dissector a shot out back.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I always thought a tire like a Minion SS or Aggressor would be a good bike park, pump track, flow trail front tire. A bit unorthodox, I know. But, fast rolling, with side knobs when you get out of line, in places where you don't need breaking performance so much as rolling speed and a little side knob insurance. I don't know how the linear stability on the front at high speed would be. I have yet to try this, however.
...for solo riding clear trails, a SS in the rear is pretty dialed. I stopped running them due to hikers and stupid riders stopped in the center of the trail - you just cannot slow down for the unexpected stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.