Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 210# riding an XL Ibis Ripmo which came with Maxxis Minion WT DHF 2.5” up front and Aggressor WT 2.5” in back.

I’ve gotten away with sub 20psi pressure with these tires on my 34mm wide Ibis rims with no rim strikes. They climb and corner amazingly well, and lasted double the miles of the tires I used on my CX bike.

When I first got the bike, I was surprised at how slow it felt on flats and climbs, with a lot of rolling resistance compared to my CX bike’s lighter and less aggressive 2.2 / 2.3 rubber.

However, I’m now used to it, and I’m impressed at the durability of the tires and the thick casings that keep the sealant wet and functional for months without the sealant sweating from my sidewalls constantly.

Now that I’m getting to within a month or so of needing to replace my rear tire, I’m having a hard time finding anything else that seems like it’s going to be as good overall as the Aggressor.

DHR 2 sounds like it’s slower rolling from the reviews I’ve read. Forecaster and High Roller II don’t sound like they will last as long on the sharp rocky conditions I ride, and under my 200# + weight.

If I can find a faster rolling tire that still corners well, that would be great, but is secondary to durability, and in that department I’m a big fan of the Aggressor. Is there something else to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been impressed with bontrager's xr2 in 29x2.6. If you need it a little burlier, then the se2 version has the exact same tread. Absolutely a fast rolling rear tire, and it corners well enough for me to stay upright.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Have you considered a semi-slick? Something like the Schwalbe Rock Razor or e13 SS seem to have decent size knobs in the center similar to an XC tire but with giant cornering knobs. Also, any Maxxis EXO tire with 60 tpi casings should have the same or close to the same puncture resistance. A Rekon or Forekaster in 60 TPI should be fine.

·
Bodhisattva
10,845 Posts
Another vote for the Bontrager SE series.

I run the SE4 in the rear. It rolls well, has extremely durable sidewalls. It sort of sits between a minion tread and a semi-slick, as someone mentioned above.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been impressed with bontrager's xr2 in 29x2.6. If you need it a little burlier, then the se2 version has the exact same tread. Absolutely a fast rolling rear tire, and it corners well enough for me to stay upright.
Cool - I would definitely go for the SE2 with the 60tpi casing. Those little knobbies are a bit underwhelming/ concerning, but reviews seem to dispel most assumptions that they don't grip - or brake well. Longevity is another question.

Have you considered a semi-slick? Something like the Schwalbe Rock Razor or e13 SS seem to have decent size knobs in the center similar to an XC tire but with giant cornering knobs. Also, any Maxxis EXO tire with 60 tpi casings should have the same or close to the same puncture resistance. A Rekon or Forekaster in 60 TPI should be fine.
Rock Razor and E-Thirteen have a bit more tread than the SE2, but both appear to only come in 2.35, where Bonty offers 2.6. That appeals to the lower pressures I would prefer to run.

Another vote for the Bontrager SE series.

I run the SE4 in the rear. It rolls well, has extremely durable sidewalls. It sort of sits between a minion tread and a semi-slick, as someone mentioned above.
Looks like SE4 is a bit tougher than SE2 (10% weight increase)? So what is the XR2, a CX version of the SE series?

I'd take the weight penalty for durability. I think the Bonty would suit most of the riding I do. I might swap my Aggressor back on when doing Downieville runs, but that's once or twice a summer.

Thanks!

·
Bodhisattva
10,845 Posts
SE = "enduro"
XR = "X-Country"

more or less......

I've been really happy with the 2.4 SE4 x27.5 in the rear in dry, dusty, loose Colorado conditions. I just returned from a week of of riding EWS enduro trails in Spain where it also did great, paired with a 2.5 DHF front. At times I could have used a smidge more brake traction, but not much.

I don't think Aggressor offers much over the SE4 for Downieville (from what I hear of Downie). I have a WT Aggressor and much prefer the SE4 for everything except, perhaps, longevity. The center tread on the SE4 wears relatively quickly, but acceptable to me.

If doing more dedicated DH/Enduro runs, then maybe a DHR2 in the rear for max gnar-traction.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SE = "enduro"
XR = "X-Country"

more or less......

I've been really happy with the 2.4 SE4 x27.5 in the rear in dry, dusty, loose Colorado conditions. I just returned from a week of of riding EWS enduro trails in Spain where it also did great, paired with a 2.5 DHF front. At times I could have used a smidge more brake traction, but not much.

I don't think Aggressor offers much over the SE4 for Downieville (from what I hear of Downie). I have a WT Aggressor and much prefer the SE4 for everything except, perhaps, longevity. The center tread on the SE4 wears relatively quickly, but acceptable to me.

If doing more dedicated DH/Enduro runs, then maybe a DHR2 in the rear for max gnar-traction.
Now to find one.... are these only available at Trek dealers (or UK Suppliers)? The SE5 keeps popping up when I'm searching for the 4.

Is it really an $85 tire? I'd love to give it a try, but that's crazy.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Now to find one....
TrekbikesDotcom looks like they have a full range of options, not sure about their overseas shipping...

and yes, they really are $85. I've seen sales when I bought from some other retailer.

Specialized tires are in the $60/$70 range and they are running a "buy one tire, get one 50% off" right now. They have a good selection of 29x2.6, with tough casing options (Grid, and something newer called Black Diamond). I have run the Ground Control (similar to XR2) and the Slaughter Grid, both as rear tires in 27.5, with good results. My Slaughter Grid has never leaked sealant and seems impervious to rocks.

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I happened to check EBay last night, and there was one single SE4 29 x 2.6 new tire with no bids ending a few hours from then. I won it for 41 GBP or about $52 including shipping. That’s what I would have paid for another Maxxis Aggressor. I’m excited to try it out.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I am a huge fan of fast rolling tires. I've used 27.5x2.6 Rocket Rons which are quite fast, and 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nics which are also fast. On my 29er, I've been running 29x2.35 Nobby Nics which are really fast.

But (and I time my rides to determine what tires roll easiest) comparing 29x2.35 NoNi's front and back to a 29x2.6 WT DHF on the front and a 29x2.5 WT Aggressor on the back, I'm getting rides in the 1.5 hour range that are only around 7% slower compared to the NoNi's. Like you, I also run low pressures (at 155 pounds, around 18 psi for the Aggressor in 2.5).

When I go to Moab, or when I'm riding tougher rides locally, I'm happy to give up the slight rolling advantage for more grip, better braking and better cornering that I get with the DHF/Agg combo. Later in the year, when most of my riding will be much more XC type of conditions as the snow melts up high, I'll go back to NoNi's.

I've also used the Rekon 29x2.6 front and back and like them, but don't have much data yet. The one thing I did notice was that for off camber steps and such, climbing, they just don't have the knob size needed to catch and will slip out, even compared to the NoNi. I'd categorize them closer to a Rocket Ron than a NoNi in that regard. And the Aggressor will catch on that kind of terrain like it has crampons.

Bottom line: I really like the 29x2.5 WT Aggressor on the back. It's definitely faster than the DHRII! But, you'll only get 2.5" out of it on a 35 mm inner rim, after it sits overnight at 40 psi to stretch.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've had good luck with the WTB Trail Boss 2.4 (the new TriTec version). It's sortof an aggressive semi-slick, it rolls reasonably well but the grip is more consistent with what you'd get out of a more aggressive tire, although front line braking is compromised over the DHRII.

I've not run the Aggressor 2.5WT, so I can't really compare, but it's a lot better than the 2.3. The casings are considerably thicker, though, and the tire is a lot heavier than both, but I've been really happy with it.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
I am a huge fan of fast rolling tires. I've used 27.5x2.6 Rocket Rons which are quite fast, and 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nics which are also fast. On my 29er, I've been running 29x2.35 Nobby Nics which are really fast.

But (and I time my rides to determine what tires roll easiest) comparing 29x2.35 NoNi's front and back to a 29x2.6 WT DHF on the front and a 29x2.5 WT Aggressor on the back, I'm getting rides in the 1.5 hour range that are only around 7% slower compared to the NoNi's. Like you, I also run low pressures (at 155 pounds, around 18 psi for the Aggressor in 2.5).

When I go to Moab, or when I'm riding tougher rides locally, I'm happy to give up the slight rolling advantage for more grip, better braking and better cornering that I get with the DHF/Agg combo. Later in the year, when most of my riding will be much more XC type of conditions as the snow melts up high, I'll go back to NoNi's.

I've also used the Rekon 29x2.6 front and back and like them, but don't have much data yet. The one thing I did notice was that for off camber steps and such, climbing, they just don't have the knob size needed to catch and will slip out, even compared to the NoNi. I'd categorize them closer to a Rocket Ron than a NoNi in that regard. And the Aggressor will catch on that kind of terrain like it has crampons.

Bottom line: I really like the 29x2.5 WT Aggressor on the back. It's definitely faster than the DHRII! But, you'll only get 2.5" out of it on a 35 mm inner rim, after it sits overnight at 40 psi to stretch.
My 2.5 Aggressor looks as bad ass wide as my 2.5 DHF on the front. Both are beefy AF. Love em.

I did crank both up to max psi for a week though...

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,841 Posts
A couple other options are the Schwalbe Hans Dampf and Michelin Wild Enduro.

I ran through a couple Aggressor DDs in 2.3 and 2.5. The 2.3s are not suitable for heavier riders due small sideknobs that wear far too quickly, but the 2.5 version solves that problem and lasts me several times as long.

My issue with the Aggressor is 1. Center knobs are like hard plastic and don't seem to grip well for braking or climbing in some conditions. 2. They seem to hate moisture, which can make #1 a real issue. On a local trail (Hall Ranch Rock Garden in CO) climbing traction with moisture is just bad. Oh, and 3. The Aggressor 2.5 DD weighs 1300g, a bit much.

I am currently running 2.35 Hans Dampf Addix Soft Super Gravity and it's like an improved Aggressor that seems to have solved all of the problems listed above. Trade off seems to be faster wear, but if you know where to look these tires are much, much cheaper vs Aggressor. I only have a half dozen rides on them so not sure about longevity, but they seem like they will wear out faster vs a 2.5 Aggressor but are doing much better vs 2.3 Aggressor. Rolling speed seems about the same. HD weighs 1150g, so 150g less and this is very noticeable.

I ordered the Michelin Wild Enduro F&R tires (Magi-X and Gum-X) from Jenson for $90 shipped, a great deal for tires. So far I have the front and the rear has been shipped. The front is 967g which seems about perfect. Rear should be a bit more. These seem like really nice tires at a really nice price, will report back after I try them out.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I run a Magic Mary in front, SE4 or 2.5 WT Aggressor 9months out of the year in back and a Griffin in back if it gets dry over summer. IMHO the SE4 and Aggressor WT are pretty closely matched, the SE4 is softer and wears faster and might have a edge on grip. My WT has very little wear on it for the time its been on my bike.

·
Bodhisattva
10,845 Posts
I run a Magic Mary in front, SE4 or 2.5 WT Aggressor 9months out of the year in back and a Griffin in back if it gets dry over summer. IMHO the SE4 and Aggressor WT are pretty closely matched, the SE4 is softer and wears faster and might have a edge on grip. My WT has very little wear on it for the time its been on my bike.
I agree on SE4 wearing faster. I prefer the side knobs on SE4 for aggressive cornering, but forward/brake grip on Aggressor is a bit better. SE4 rolls considerably faster, IMO

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
I'm 210# riding an XL Ibis Ripmo which came with Maxxis Minion WT DHF 2.5" up front and Aggressor WT 2.5" in back.

I've gotten away with sub 20psi pressure with these tires on my 34mm wide Ibis rims with no rim strikes. They climb and corner amazingly well, and lasted double the miles of the tires I used on my CX bike.

When I first got the bike, I was surprised at how slow it felt on flats and climbs, with a lot of rolling resistance compared to my CX bike's lighter and less aggressive 2.2 / 2.3 rubber.

However, I'm now used to it, and I'm impressed at the durability of the tires and the thick casings that keep the sealant wet and functional for months without the sealant sweating from my sidewalls constantly.

Now that I'm getting to within a month or so of needing to replace my rear tire, I'm having a hard time finding anything else that seems like it's going to be as good overall as the Aggressor.

DHR 2 sounds like it's slower rolling from the reviews I've read. Forecaster and High Roller II don't sound like they will last as long on the sharp rocky conditions I ride, and under my 200# + weight.

If I can find a faster rolling tire that still corners well, that would be great, but is secondary to durability, and in that department I'm a big fan of the Aggressor. Is there something else to consider?

At your weight and on the bike you have, the Aggressor seems like a perfect match.

On the other hand if you are riding sub-20 psi and not bottoming out my guess is you are not riding the bike and tire like it was intended. I know people get super sensitive when you suggest they are over-biked but if you are on a bike pf that travel, at your weight, with that psi and not rim dinging, well, that says a lot. On my xc/trail bike at my current very lean weight of 170 I'm dinging rims with burly tires with 25psi.

So, I suppose if you just want a long travel xc rig, then sure you could really scale down on the tire. There are a dozen good choices. Something you might consider are the 2.6 Maxxis WT flavor. They roll much better than the 2.5 WT tires as they are a different animal all together, having a much more supple casing and thinner sidewall. Try a Forecaster or Rekon 2.6 out back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.