Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently riding a newer Santa Cruz Bronson with their Reserve 30 carbon wheels. Geared up I’m hovering right around 200lbs. and I’m riding typical NY/NJ/CT terrain with fun roots and rocks.

I’m currently running a DHF 2.5WT 3C EXO front and Aggressor 2.3 DC EXO rear. I just tore the sidewall on my Aggressor and it needs replacing. Should I step up to the 2.5WT?

I know Maxxis recommends their WT tires for 30-35mm internal width rims, what I’m wondering is why most Enduro type bikes come spec’d with 30mm internal width rims and a DHF 2.5WT front and Aggressor 2.3 rear instead of a 2.5WT???

Those of you who have ridden both, how do the 2.3 and 2.5WT compare?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've run both. The last was 2.5wt on a 36mm rim. I really didn't like either. I feel they are over weight and slow rolling. If you can run a 2.5 front and rear I would.

Currently I'm running an xr4 front and McFly rear. I love combo.

Xr4/SE4 makes a great rear or front tire. There countless other options ... Xr3, nobby Nick, recon and so on

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
I don't know about that, I feel front and rear tire dynamics are a bit different. Unless it's actually a rear-specific tire you are putting on, I wouldn't be so quick to go to a WT. I tried to run a 2.3 non-WT minion on the front of my 30i-rim bike and it just didn't work, I couldn't turn/lean past a certain point and was bleeding all kinds of speed in the turns. Put same tire on the back, worked like magic comparatively. I think the lean angles and what you are looking for out of a front and rear tire are significantly different. What doesn't work on one end may work great on the other.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I don't know about that, I feel front and rear tire dynamics are a bit different. Unless it's actually a rear-specific tire you are putting on, I wouldn't be so quick to go to a WT. I tried to run a 2.3 non-WT minion on the front of my 30i-rim bike and it just didn't work, I couldn't turn/lean past a certain point and was bleeding all kinds of speed in the turns. Put same tire on the back, worked like magic comparatively. I think the lean angles and what you are looking for out of a front and rear tire are significantly different. What doesn't work on one end may work great on the other.
Agreed.

I've run both the 2.5WT Aggressor and the 2.3 Aggressor our back - I liked the 2.3 better because it rolled a bit faster and I didn't notice any real difference in braking, cornering or driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Personally I really like the 2.5 WT Aggressor...

The only issue for me - is finding a tyre that pairs up size wise with it, that can fit in my non boost fork o_0

It's uber big i.e. 65mm lug to lug.

I'm running it out back on my AM HT 29er... originally had it on my FS 29er.

Paired up w/ Bontrager 2.6 that's a bit tight clearance wise up front.

PS - don't know why they didn't make a 2.4 Aggressor? When I bought the 2.5 that's what I was expecting size wise, based on prior Maxxis purchases i.e. they usually run narrow.

'Born to ride!'

Reactions: b rock

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
I had the exact experience with Aggressors, which is a tire I don't really love anyway.

The 2.5WT seems super-draggy to me. I thought the 2.3 version was much snappier with no overall loss in traction.

Agreed.

I've run both the 2.5WT Aggressor and the 2.3 Aggressor our back - I liked the 2.3 better because it rolled a bit faster and I didn't notice any real difference in braking, cornering or driving.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Agreed.

THIS! Exactly my findings when I rode a SB130 (2.3 Aggressor) vs. a Ripmo (2.5 WT Aggressor) back-to-back. I don't think the 2.5 is a good choice unless maybe you're over 225 lbs.

Have FUN!

G MAN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.