Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding Ranger 27.5x3 tires in the light/high grip version on a HT. I like the tires, but I am searching for something more aggressive in the corners without giving up the plushness my current tires offer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have used the following 27.5" x 3.0"

Teravail Coranado's 120TPI Front / 60TPI Rear in Black
Teravail Coranado 120TPI Front / 120 TPI Rear in Tanwall (Extra Soft)
Maxxis HRII EXO 3C 120TPI Front / Dual Compound 60 TPI Rear
Schwalbe Nobby Nic

If you want Super Soft go Teravail Tanwall. They are bouncy, The sidewall is VERY Soft... very LIGHT tire very FAST ROLLING.
If you want Ultimate Grip from Edge to Edge go Maxxis HRII. BEST, but a bit draggy.
The Schwalbe were great in a straight line but abysmal for leaning grip IMO

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not going to knock on any of the tires previously mentioned, but I really like my Terrene Chunk. Not the fastest roller for sure, but pick the right pressure and it sticks like glue and rides soft without being bouncy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So i gotta say more about the Coronado. I've had WTB Rangers and loved them... had a few sidewall punctures but moved to the "tough" and loved them. Recently built up a Jones and shod it with the coronado 27.5x3.0 and it has really exceeded my expectations. the tire has fairly aggressive side knobs and seemingly tough but supple casing and rolls very well on harder surfaces. Things are dry and dusty here in Flagstaff and I have yet to feel the tire really slip in a corner. Based on your description for an " aggressive yet, plush" tire, this really seems to fit the bill. I've ridden Chupacabras and really like them for all-round conditions and longevity, Onza Canis 2.8, great rear although i ripped a sidewall on the second ride. WTB trailboss works well for me as a front tire although I didn't care for it on the rear. Although the Ranger rides great its longevity is noticeably short. Good luck with your search. Again the Teravail Coronado def has me surprised and pleased at the moment.

·
Premium Member
10,756 Posts
Hans Dampf 2.8, tough, nice and plush, super durable, great all around tire, not undersized. I rode the Purgs quite a bit and the new HD is like a Purg upgraded x 10.

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Hans Dampf 2.8, tough, nice and plush, super durable, great all around tire, not undersized. I rode the Purgs quite a bit and the new HD is like a Purg upgraded x 10.
How are the side knobs holding out? That was the Achilles heel of the HD in the past, but I know Schwalbe has revised the tire.

I liked the HDs I used in the past a lot aside from the durability issues.

·
Premium Member
10,756 Posts
How are the side knobs holding out? That was the Achilles heel of the HD in the past, but I know Schwalbe has revised the tire.

I liked the HDs I used in the past a lot aside from the durability issues.
Yes, I had the previous version and the side knobbies wore hard, but the new version is very robust. I've been on them multiple times a week since GG Moab and they still look fresh. I have the "blue line" version which I think is the more durable model. They are plenty sticky too.

I have not found them to be slow or lacking in any way, running them front and back now, thinking about putting a Minion or similar up front for summer riding, depends on how the new bike rides :)

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Yes, I had the previous version and the side knobbies wore hard, but the new version is very robust. I've been on them multiple times a week since GG Moab and they still look fresh. I have the "blue line" version which I think is the more durable model. They are plenty sticky too.

I have not found them to be slow or lacking in any way, running them front and back now, thinking about putting a Minion or similar up front for summer riding, depends on how the new bike rides :)
Good to hear. I'll have to keep them in mind next time I need rubber. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.