Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are re-tooling my wife's bike for XC and endurance racing next year and looking for some new tires. We need something that is light and fast rolling for racing. However, she likes tires she can feel confident on, in particular tires that corner aggressively I don't think climbing traction is as important as cornering since she stays seated most of the time when she climbs.

She doesn't like fiddling with, and swapping tires, so we would need a good "all-rounder" that could handle sand to loam in conditions that might be wet at times. Not much (if any) gravel or loose rock though.

Also, she's pretty stubborn about sticking with "old-fashioned" tubes and tires, but I would love to try to convince her that tubeless-ready tires and a Stan's kit would better fit her needs (doubt it though). Currently she is on Velocity Areo-head rims.

Any thoughts?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Specialized: Captain front, fasttrack rear
Schwalbe: Nobby Nic front, Racing Ralph rear (this is fairly aggressive)
..........or Rocket Ron front, Furious Fred rear (lighter and faster, less grip)

The list goes on and on...
I haven't even touched on Maxxis, Kenda, or Continental and they have a whole bunch of tires to offer as well. I think the Schwalbe tires sound like the best bet given your wife's preference to grip. Pick up a larger volume tire that is light and has good grip. I think Schwalbe are the lightest of the big knobbie tires and they tend to roll well due to their consistent knob patterns.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys. for a frame of reference, she does not like the old Hutch. Pythons or the original Specialized Fast Trak, though I suspect the NG or new versions of these would be better since they have more aggressive side knobs. She likes WTB Mutano Raptors and Weirwolfs (for trail riding) and Specialized Revolution (f)/ Roll-X (r), which are her current, and almost worn out "all-rounder" tires.

Maybe we could do the Python NG in back and the Cobra up front or Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph.
I have learned the hard way that making her comfortable and happy with her tires is very critical. Furious Fred/Rocket Ron are a little more my speed... now I am getting ideas for me... Spec. Fast Trak LK and Renegade look good.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
maybe look into the continental mtn kings, speed kings, and their race kings. the supersonic versions of those tires are very light.

a mtn king up front paired with a race king in the rear would be a good setup.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Those Continental tires mentioned are a pretty sweet combo, a friend has a set (Speed Kings) and I was pretty impressed with their grip and low weight and relatively low rolling resistance...expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Take a look at the sticky cornering ratings from the german magazine. ...My experience is to avoid continuous edge blocks as on loose over the whole tire will float and go all at once.

·
Ground Pounder
310 Posts
I mostly ride in hard pack, duff over hard pack, compacted sand and loose over hard.

I think the Spec Fast Trak would break free before she was comfortable in the corners. I ride the 2.2 version (non-LK) tubeless on the rear and am impressed with it's climbing ability, but it drifts in corners.

The IRC Mibro is an awesome tire for the front for the conditions above. In the rear it corners well, but climbing traction isn't the greatest IMO. That may not matter to you. It's terrible in the wet on the rear. I run the 2.25 up front and it's my favorite front tire for my area (Bay Area). I wish they made a 2.35 UST.

The Maxis Advantage could be a good rear. It's the slowest rolling of the three, but not by much (by the unscientific feel method). I'm digging the 2.1 UST on my single speed as a rear. Great traction and cornering. It's design kinda looks like it would give then catch in the corners but I don't find that to be the case. I've never run it up front. It's also a nice high volume too, opposed to the tires above.

You may want to look into the WTB Wolverine. I'm itching to try one out, but I have a pile of other tires to get to first. Tread pattern looks open enough to bite in the corners, but close enough to roll fast. That's all a guess though.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
Maxxis High Roller 2.1 (it is a narrow 2.1 though.....). Maxxis Rendez 2.1, Maxxis Advantage 2.1. All have a similar, sharp square edge for cornering and are more open in the tread for loose conditions, though the Rendez is more a front tyre going by the very directional "Dart" style tread. I use it on the front paired with the fast Monorail on the rear.

Another vote here for the IRC Mibro, though the 2.1 is narrow. I used a set for trail tyres and they are impressive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used the Wolverine 2.2 up front with a Weirwolf Race 2.1 in the rear all summer, and found that the Weirwolf outperformed and the Wolverine did as well as can be expected for a tire with less aggressive tread. The Wolverine broke and washed rather easily in the ever present sand we have here in So Cal. As long as I was mindful of what I was doing and did not ask more of the tire than it could give it was ok. Deep sand and sand over hardpack was not its forte. The Weirwolf worked very well; I got gobs of traction but it did not feel slow.

I have since moved on to the Captain tires, and while I prefer a wider tire up front, the 2.0 Captain SWorks for weight savings, or Control for a bit more sidewall, make a great front tire. In back, she might want something like the Fastrak but I prefer the extra bite of another Captain, and am currently using the SWorks to save some weight. Either way, if you do them tubeless, she will get less felt rolling resistance; I picked up a gear doing tubeless and I was a doubting Thomas till I tried it for the first time earlier this month. Being a small woman and not a big burly guy, picking up a gear is a big deal to me and worth the hassle of setting them up tubeless. They seem to roll easier and have better bite; having better flat resistance is icing (yes I did try them both ways).

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have run the fire xc pro, race king SS 2.2, razor MX, mountain king protection and rampage this last year. For endurance racing, the race king SS would be hard to beat. I did a 50 mile event this summer and switched to the mountain king protections for the durability factor. Felt it was a big mistake after wards. Currently using the mountain kings for training and and plan to race on the race kings. I can't lay the race kings over as much, but their light weight is great for climbs and their rolling resistance is very low. They are fast enough that I don't mind giving up a little bit in all out cornering bite. They never washed on me, but they can drift. The Razor is not a bad cheap rear tire.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FishMan473 said:
We are re-tooling my wife's bike for XC and endurance racing next year and looking for some new tires. We need something that is light and fast rolling for racing. However, she likes tires she can feel confident on, in particular tires that corner aggressively I don't think climbing traction is as important as cornering.

She doesn't like fiddling with, and swapping tires, so we would need a good "all-rounder" that could handle sand to loam in conditions that might be wet at times. Not much (if any) gravel or loose rock through.

Also, she's pretty stubborn about sticking with "old-fashioned" tubes and tires, but I would love to try to convince her that tubeless-ready tires and a Stan's kit would better fit her needs (doubt it though). Currently she is on Velocity Areo-head rims.

Any thoughts?
Panaracer CG XC 2.1. Not that light but these are the fastest 26" tires I have used (by actual timed comparison). They have extremely good cornering grip on a range of terrain and can effectively be run at low pressures (in fact they are faster at the low pressures) with tubes. It still has better drive and braking grip than most semi-slick/low knob tires.

The CG XC is a full depth tread and wears well. It should easily last for a season of racing and training.

I have been using several preproduction versions and the "final" spec since last May and can honestly say it is a tire I would buy and use as my primary tire.

disclaimer: I have not been payed in any manner for tire testing or feedback. Tires were supplied to me for evaluation at no cost.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments, this has been really useful.

Shiggy: if anyone other than the tire master himself had posted a pick of such a weird looking tire, I would have written them off, but I'll be looking into these CG XC tires. But is that 810 g weight correct?!? That's more than all but my burliest UST tires!

Tzvia: thanks for your comment on going tubeless. Might be the most convincing argument I have heard yet.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Thanks everyone for your comments, this has been really useful.

Shiggy: if anyone other than the tire master himself had posted a pick of such a weird looking tire, I would have written them off, but I'll be looking into these CG XC tires. But is that 810 g weight correct?!? That's more than all but my burliest UST tires!

Tzvia: thanks for your comment on going tubeless. Might be the most convincing argument I have heard yet.
The XC is ~650g.

I think the 4X/FR is 800g

·
Registered
188 Posts
C.M.S said:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/19...IRC-Mythos-XC-II-Racing-Tire-**set-Of-2**.htm

I have a set of these on my current ride and never had an issue , awesome grip at a great price .

feel like lead on paved trails though !!
I have ran these for some time as well. As for the paved trails, I just pump them up to about 55psi, and never felt they dragged. Though most of the time I have a trailer, or trail-a-bike attached when on pavement.

I was running somewhat worn Fast Traks SLK's, and they were loosing traction in hardpack corners. Not sure how they were when new, as I got them in that condition. I would just slide in the corners at times, almost like you hit an "almost dry" puddle. It was never the front OR the rear tire only, but both at the same time, and would regain traction at the same time. Never had an issue with the Mythos XC, f&r specific.

I keep thinking about trying the Captians. My wife has a pair now, 2.2-f, 2.0-r, and was happy with them the 1 time she got out late this Fall (right before the weather went from bad to worse). She was very happy with the traction while climbing, and when she hit the few sand spots. May just need to swipe her tires for a ride or 2!

Good luck deciding!
Chris

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mythos are classic, I raced on those through most of college. But I think there are newer tires that roll quite a bit faster but have only slightly less grip, and that's what I'm looking for. In fact, from what I recall the Mythos were good in the corners, but not exceptional.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.