Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of running a maxxis minion on the front and a high roller for rear. Might go with a schwalbe rock razor for rear in dry conditions.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Minion works well with High Roller in the rear.
Minion/HR is a classic combo for all wheel sizes.
Minion/Minion is a great combo too.
Conti Trail Kings front and rear is a good matched combo too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a trail king up front and it is very good...its the black chili protection 2.2. I am in need of a rear tire and am thinking of the specialized butcher.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Chunky Monkey front and rear.
+1

I'm running the chunky monkey front/smorgasboard rear which works great. both in dual compound rubber. Not the fastest combo, but traction and handling is amazing and the sidewalls are stout.

I had a Vigilant front recently. It works great in softer dirt but was too squirmy on baby heads and the hard rock we have on the CO front range. Purgatory was "ok", but nowhere near as good as the Chunky Monkey for me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
For where I ride(mixture of hardpack, rocks, loam) I REALLY like the Minion DHF 2.5 in the Fall through late Spring months...this thing is aggressive and holds a corner! During the dry summer months where we see a soft over hard pack I prefer the Purgatory. This year however I am sticking with the Minion DHF for the entire season.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Chunky Monkey front, conti Mountain King II 2.4 black chili rear.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Minion DHF for the front is tough to beat. The new 29er 2.3 is finally a Maxxis tire that is true to size. Tire comments are very terrain specific but the DHF seems to do well in a variety of conditions.

The Hans Dampf was a nice tire that had more volume for blasting through chunk, more predicitability in transition, but less absolute cornering grip than the Minion. However, it just wore out it's side knobs too fast.

I am less discerning about my rear tire and what I use changes from time to time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts