Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me choose a decent fork for aggressive XC
I do some 'normal' XC and occasionally thro in some gnarly rooty/rocky trails for fun.

I had an EXR AIR on my bike, but switched over to a SID for better terrain tracking and liter weight. However, the 1999 SID XC feels far too 'weak' for aggresive XC.

I am thinking about a Duke, Black, Skareb (2004 Platinum with 100mm), or a SID 100.
I also seen Marzocchi DJ3 's on some All-Mountain bikes in catalogs.

Any suggestions?

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
doanster said:
I do some 'normal' XC and occasionally thro in some gnarly rooty/rocky trails for fun.

I had an EXR AIR on my bike, but switched over to a SID for better terrain tracking and liter weight. However, the 1999 SID XC feels far too 'weak' for aggresive XC.

I am thinking about a Duke, Black, Skareb (2004 Platinum with 100mm), or a SID 100.

Any suggestions?
How much do you weigh?
More options are...
Fox Vanilla, if you can afford it then maybe even the Float? Marzocchi's MX series are pretty good, and if you can afford it then the Marathons aren't bad. The new Reba is apparently going to replace the duke, so maybe thats an option?
I would stay away from the SID100 as that is flexy and also not very good for aggresive XC.
BTW I use a 2004 Duke XC u-turn and really would like a Fox X100 or 100RLT or a manitou Skareb platnium 100(?).

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
doanster said:

Any suggestions?
The Dirt Jumper is not designed for aggro XC, so I wouldn't consider that. Z1s, they're aggro - I have a Z1 FR SL. All Fox forks can handle your aggro needs as they are stiff and smooth. Those forks you've listed above seem more XC/Race to me.

You might find some good deals right now on old '03s and '04s. It really depends on how you ride, where you ride, how much travel you want/need, where you think you'll grow - gonna hit some drops or jumps, urban?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I weigh about 140lbs, if that helps.
I tried out the Minute 1 several times on my friend's bike, and did not like the way it felt, even after tuning the settings. I like the Psylo, but it seems like it is designed more for the jumping/freeride crowd of riders.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the Duke on HT anf Fox100RLT on FS

bike_freak said:
How much do you weigh?
More options are...
Fox Vanilla, if you can afford it then maybe even the Float? Marzocchi's MX series are pretty good, and if you can afford it then the Marathons aren't bad. The new Reba is apparently going to replace the duke, so maybe thats an option?
I would stay away from the SID100 as that is flexy and also not very good for aggresive XC.
BTW I use a 2004 Duke XC u-turn and really would like a Fox X100 or 100RLT or a manitou Skareb platnium 100(?).
I can tell you that I thought when I upgraded my fork on my HT last yeat to a Duke XC, I thought is was the shiznit. then, I bought a squishy w/ Fox Float RL 100 up front and Fox AVA on the back, PUSH modified after 4 months. I can tell you that the Fox completely kicks massive ass. Yeah, the Duke is very good, but the Fox takes it to a new level. Then again, you wil have to ask yourself if it is worth the $300 price difference. But if you have the means, just do it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
geez at 140 lbs

you should have no problems riding rigid with 2.3's up front. lol. sorry just kidding. Don't go nuts, for serious XC get a Manitou Black it is more than enough fork and you can find great deals on them.
The guy above is right. You cannot justify the extra $300-$400 you are going to spend on some of these chic "cool thing to have now" forks. (Fox). Be sensible expecially at your weight where I would think that alot fork are going to perform just fine for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats true... Manitou Blacks rite now are purdy good deals (the older ones). I am looking at the rockshox reba, but my frend told me they will start at 400-450$ USD... way over my price range... :S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.