Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aggravating. My two year old Stroker Trails needed bleeding and new pads, so I started with a bleed that brought the lever feel back closer to how they were when I bought them. The levers are looser, but I can live with the play. Now bled, I wipe everything down good, clean the rotors (just to be safe), and pop in new pads (Hayes-not third party). They snap in and feel solid in there (and yea they are in all the way.) One ride. Just one ride. The rear brake outer pad slipped down and the pin bent. Now I am looking at rebuilding the caliper and doing the bleed all over, but I have lost confidence. My other bike (these came on my Anthem) came with Magura Marta SLs that are really class compared to these Hayes brakes. I love the magnet and single pin holder, an elegant way to go compared with these delicate pins. Can't afford to get another set though, but I think I am through with these Strokers. I checked the front because I am paranoid now, and the pads don't seem to be as tight in there as I would like. I guess those pins can wear? Ok, two calipers to rebuild :madman: . Maybe I should just cut my losses as I was going to rebuild the levers this winter too cuz man they are loose.

I am leaning towards XTs, as they are on sale locally, and regulating these to my 'parts box' for when I get around to building a disk braked commuter (I'll rebuild them then). I'm a 135lb woman who rides XC/trail and is on a tight budget (but will not buy another Hayes). Any other suggestions to look into? Or am I just being paranoid and should trust a rebuild of the Strokers? Could the pin have worn somehow, creating enough play for the pad to slip?

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Replace the piston on your Hayes Trail i did the same thing but tried to straighten the pin snapping it off the piston. You can contact Hayes and see if they are willing to offer a goodwill gesture and send you a replacement piston. :thumbsup:

The Hayes lever pin kit is $10 msrp that will eliminate the loose lever. :)

http://www.hayesbrake.com/index.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but as these turds are 2 years old I doubt Hayes will do anything. I figure I am out $35 each for the caliper rebuild kits and lever pin kits, + my time = I don't know if I can trust it. They have already gone mushy once and been bled, and I just bled them again for the same, only to have the pins bend so I guess I am frustrated. These really need some sort of retention device beyond some dinky bent wire.

So I went to the LBS and found Avid Elixir Rs for $110 each which seemed like a good price, and they have OK reviews, so I bought them. Will be trying them with my Alligator rotors, and if that's not a good combo, will try the G3s that came with them and even the Hayes rotors if there are any squealing or pulsing issues. At least I don't have to worry about the pads falling half out and breaking something.

You are right, I will rebuild the brakes as I'm saving my pennies for a Salsa Vaya frame that I hope to build flat-bar this winter. If they fail again on my commute they will hit the recycle bin.

·
Registered
332 Posts
hayes cs is good, they sent me new semi-metallic pads free cause my old full metals were squeeling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a nightmare with the outer side pin on my front Strokers too. Rebuilt the caliper twice due to the same pin snapping off. Finally just cut my loses and picked up some used a set of Formula Oro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts