Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more an off road drop bar or adveture/tour matter. One sit bone gets way more sore than the other. What can be some soreness with a 3-4 hours MTB ride has become near unbearable misery for an endurance ride and especially the on/off road I enjoy.

Have any of you tried the Selle Anatomicas? The advertised no break in and more modern construction that includes replaceable or upgradable parts is appealing. Same for the products targeting our weight.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have you ever checked for a leg length discrepancy? Back when I was riding a lot of road miles, I was having similar issues once I got into long rides. After a professional bike fit, it turns out I needed a thin shim under the cleat on one leg, among other small adjustments. My favorite road saddle back then was the SMP. My favorite mtb saddle, currently, is the SQlab. The SQlab has an elastomer that lets the seat flex a bit. I could see it working well in your case, but you'll need to let things heal first.

·
Registered
14,869 Posts
Have you ever checked for a leg length discrepancy? Back when I was riding a lot of road miles, I was having similar issues once I got into long rides. After a professional bike fit, it turns out I needed a thin shim under the cleat on one leg, among other small adjustments. My favorite road saddle back then was the SMP. My favorite mtb saddle, currently, is the SQlab. The SQlab has an elastomer that lets the seat flex a bit. I could see it working well in your case, but you'll need to let things heal first.

I would check into this^ before investing in multiple saddles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’ve had two selle Anatomica saddles. One was the new frame with the rubber top. The other was the old frame with a leather top. I loved the comfort but could never stop the squeaking for long. I had to give them up. They have pretty good resale value.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,654 Posts
I have an older one, I just grease the spot that squeaks. It's about 12 years old now and still rides fine (ok, so it also looks like a 12 year old leather saddle that's seen milage). I suspect it's resale is negligible ;)

But it's comfortable. It's also on my road bike. I also agree with the comments regarding leg length.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have an older SA that is a good friend of mine. We've put in some comfortable miles together. I also have SQLabs saddles that are really comfortable.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input and the point of leg length. My wife points out asymmetry with left knee not tracking so well but it's the right sit bone.

The thought of the fit places bugs me. I don't wear cleat/clip type shoes if I can help it - pure f*ckry and danger for jumping or pushing handling scenarios. Some sort of a certified fit expert is why I have a wrong custom frame - I'm not a bent over racer etc... I'll have to look into who's really qualified.

My thought here is one side of a leather saddle would conform.

Thanks again.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,654 Posts
The leather will kind of conform. Mine is slightly narrower on the right side than the left now (just from the difference in leg diameter).

Reactions: bitflogger

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the input.

I ordered a Selle Anatomica after taking in all sorts of advice. There were a few Brooks in my life being a sexagenarian so their tweaks to the concept and price were appealing plus the 30 day return policy.

It sticks in my mine when at one point around1981 my inner weight weenie took off a Brooks pro and I realized while I saved weight, the Brooks was better on a hot long day.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I switched to SQ Labs saddles last year and haven't had nearly the issues I was having before. I would suggest a good bike fitting as well- some simple tweaks have also made a difference for me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I’ve had two selle Anatomica saddles. One was the new frame with the rubber top. The other was the old frame with a leather top. I loved the comfort but could never stop the squeaking for long. I had to give them up. They have pretty good resale value.
Exact same issue here, i liked the saddle, the noise, not so much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts