Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow bike parents. I have been riding with my son on a Ridealong Mini (the stem mount Thule seat) for quite a while now. My son is about 2.5 years and 32 lbs. the weight limit for the mini is 33 lbs so I already ordered a Macride and installed it on one of my bikes. He wanted to try sitting on it but didn’t want to ride on it yet. I’m sure he will come around eventually. I think he is a bit tall/ heavy for his age so he may be ready for the macride in terms of size and experience but maybe not age. This just got me curious of what ages you all started your tots on a macride or shotgun.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I was not at all happy with the Thule Ridealong Mini... I had the first version six years ago (before they bought Yepp) and the kid could shrug out of the straps, easily defeat the stylish nonstandard buckle, and stick his hands under the bucket to get pinched by my knees. All the while sticking his helmet and the back of the seat in my sternum and requiring me to make cowboy starts and stops. It would make a lot more sense on a Dutch bike where there's a mile of frame reach and a big quill stem and swept back handle bars.

I moved my kid to a Blackburn Copilot rear seat and he did fine. But we were not doing any serious MTB.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not at all happy with the Thule Ridealong Mini... I had the first version six years ago (before they bought Yepp) and the kid could shrug out of the straps, easily defeat the stylish nonstandard buckle, and stick his hands under the bucket to get pinched by my knees. All the while sticking his helmet and the back of the seat in my sternum and requiring me to make cowboy starts and stops. It would make a lot more sense on a Dutch bike where there's a mile of frame reach and a big quill stem and swept back handle bars.

I moved my kid to a Blackburn Copilot rear seat and he did fine. But we were not doing any serious MTB.
I had the same problem with straps sliding off the shoulders, solved it with a caribeaner clipping the two straps together through the strap guide webbing. I learned to ride with knees bowed out and feet somewhat hanging off the sides of the biggest flat pedals i could find. could only do 45 min due to this at first but now can go as long as we want. i have no chest clearance issues but i am 188cm with 1:1 ape index. I taught him to keep hands in at and early age and keep those fidgety fingers busy with a fun horn and bell on the handlebars.

I agree with the shortcomings you point out but I found the trade offs to be worth it to have my kid in between my arms (and center of balance) and with a great view out in front. Recently he started initiating the leans to make turns. I couldn’t be prouder. :) Wouldn’t trade the past few years of that for anything.

But the point of this thread is that days in this setup are numbered so i wanted to ask at what age did folks start their kids on a macride. Just looking for some context since I don’t know any riders locally who are using one.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started my kids on balance bike at age 2 and had them fully off the training wheels by age 3. I think the kids are more capable than you think.
I appreciate some input but still looking for info on mac ride to keep taking my kid out on longer rides as he is about to outgrow our current setup.

Regarding balance bikes, my boy was riding the strider fixed to the rocker base before he could walk. At 2 he mainly prefers pushing his balance bike while walking on the side of it but sometimes straddles and kicks along a bit. I don’t plan on him ever relying on training wheels. So not sure where you got ideas about my ideas of capability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I appreciate some input but still looking for info on mac ride to keep taking my kid out on longer rides as he is about to outgrow our current setup.

Regarding balance bikes, my boy was riding the strider fixed to the rocker base before he could walk. At 2 he mainly prefers pushing his balance bike while walking on the side of it but sometimes straddles and kicks along a bit. I don’t plan on him ever relying on training wheels. So not sure where you got ideas about my ideas of capability.
Sorry that was a figurative “you” as in we think. Good on you man.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm basically right where you are with a little physically smaller daughter (she's about 25lbs). She's been on a shotgun since this May when she was just over 2 and is just now turning to her balance bike more often than not. I picked up a 10" frog bike for her first birthday; she was super excited and got on it right away. That was the only time she rode that bike. By the time she was interested in being on two wheels herself she'd outgrown it. Who knows maybe our nearly one year old son will see things differently and get some use out of it trying to keep up with her. As for riding with me on the shotgun... it's a crap-shoot. Some days she's super excited to go, some days not. I've learned not to push it - if she doesn't want to ride, she doesn't want to ride. The days she does she absolute loves it, I can hear the giggles as we roll down the trail - for about 40 minutes. Like a light switch, when she's ready to be done, she's ready to be done. I've basically learned to let her dictate the terms of the ride because it's not much fun if she's not onboard. We never plan to go more than six or seven miles and if she doesn't want to ride, or tells me she wants to go home, that's what we do.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
14,596 Posts
I bought it for my son when he was 2, by age 3 he was a bit too big for it and preferred his balance bike by then. I started my daughter on it when she was 13 months old, she is now 3 and 1 month and almost too big for it. Both my kids are tall so your mileage may vary.

Bicycle helmet Bicycle Wheel Tire Helmet

·
Registered
113 Posts
I started my daughter on the ride along mini as soon as she was able to hold her head up and mainly stuck to pavement rides. The Thule didn’t last long as there were issues with it rubbing the rear tire when going over bumps. There was no adjustability on it due to the rear triangle shape on my bike. Purchased a kids ride shotgun and she as been on it since about the age of 20months. She is 28 months now and is a chunk at 36lbs. She loves the shotgun. It’s on a trek StacheSS. here’s a pic from our ride last week, 5mi on our local trail.
Bicycle Tire Plant Smile Wheel

·
Registered
113 Posts
I started my daughter on the ride along mini as soon as she was able to hold her head up and mainly stuck to pavement rides. The Thule didn’t last long as there were issues with it rubbing the rear tire when going over bumps. There was no adjustability on it due to the rear triangle shape on my bike. Purchased a kids ride shotgun and she as been on it since about the age of 20months. She is 28 months now and is a chunk at 36lbs. She loves the shotgun. It’s on a trek StacheSS. here’s a pic from our ride last week, 5mi on our local trail. View attachment 1953821
Update
I ended up getting a new bike and the kids ride shotgun seat would not safely attach to it. I borrowed a friends Mac Ride for the new bike and it is by far a much better design.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My daughters got into the Mac-ride around 2. The first go around, it was great for riding some of the singletrack I like to ride. With the second kid, it's awesome for being able to ride with both kids at the same time. It's worth every penny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts