Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Crashing but I've never had this issue until I changed to the 4pot XT's. Its happened often enough in the past 12 months that I know the leavers are rubbish.
To be honest I don't know how different the levers are. I've had Saints for about six years and not damaged a lever. Never broke a lever on my M675 SLXs either. But again could be luck, but it doesn't seem a common complaint. Can you twist the brakes round on the bars by hand?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you snapping levers from crashing or just everyday use?? How tight do you have the clamps done up?
To be honest I don't know how different the levers are. I've had Saints for about six years and not damaged a lever. Never broke a lever on my M675 SLXs either. But again could be luck, but it doesn't seem a common complaint. Can you twist the brakes round on the bars by hand?
But it is a common complaint with the last couple of iterations of shimano brake leavers? Quick google or chat at the LBS will also confirm this. No I must admit I didnt realise this was an issue (having the clamps to tight) however it does make sense. Will loosen them up. Boys at the LBS said the old Zee leavers are the ones to buy should they be able to fit the 8100XT's.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anybody else sick of bending/snapping flimsy Shimano leavers? Can you get aftermarket ones? If so where from?
Flo Motorsports makes aftermarket levers that fit current XT and SLX brakes, not sure if they fit any other models. They make mainly motorcycle parts and I think this is the only MTB part they make. They are awesome though and pretty much unbreakable.

Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flo Motorsports makes aftermarket levers that fit current XT and SLX brakes, not sure if they fit any other models. They make mainly motorcycle parts and I think this is the only MTB part they make. They are awesome though and pretty much unbreakable.

View attachment 1948926
Yeah I'm looking into this. $200 to be shipped to New Zealand however!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'll second the Flo Motorsports units. I got them because I broke one and no one had any in stock at the time. They're great. After having them for quite a while, I'll say that the feel isn't as pleasant as the original shimano units, but not bad either. They're just a little narrower across the blade where your finger tip rests, and I liked the feel of the wider blade.
They're much stronger however (made of aluminum, not cheese) and do not flex no matter how hard you pull them. They're very stable and precise feeling.
Overall, I'd purchase them again if need be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.