Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of TRP Quadiems (love them so far), and have been looking into what replacement pads to get when the time comes.

I was reading the enduro-mtb "best brakes you can buy" review recently, and I see they have a comment in there about how brake pads can totally change the brake.

Here is the excerpt.
3. It's the pads that do the stopping, not the lever​
No matter how good the levers, or how large the pistons, all the braking forces are transferred by the brake pads onto the discs. Good brake pad material is the essential ingredient for powerful deceleration, sintered pads use metal shavings for maximum performance on long runs, while organic pads have a very powerful bite.

Don't forget aftermarket pads too: in our tests fitting the Trickstuff Power+ brake pads to the SRAM Code R resulted in a 20% improvement in average braking torque, and an average of 18% improvement in deceleration times. Plus, they were quieter.

Strangely, I can't seem to find any comparison reviews between pads. Which I find surprising, as if the numbers they have above are true, then these pads are just as impactful as changing to a rotor that is 20% larger (thats a pretty big change in power).

Does anyone know of a comparison review between pads on the same brakes? I imagine that some aftermarket pads are likely better... but I could also buy the fact that some are worse than OEM. I'd love to know which I should be seeking out, and which to be avoiding.

Does anyone know of any data/reviews like this?

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
I don’t have any data but one (other) thing I like about the TRPs is that they are compatible with Shimano Saint pads. If you’re on a bike trip just about every LBS has Shimano pads so if for some reason you need to replace your pads and didn’t bring your own you won’t be left hanging.

I use the Saint sintered pads for my normal setup. I believe Galfer makes a pad that’s compatible with the Quadiems. Other than TRP, Shimano, and Galfer, I didn’t know we had any other options.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any data but one (other) thing I like about the TRPs is that they are compatible with Shimano Saint pads. If you're on a bike trip just about every LBS has Shimano pads so if for some reason you need to replace your pads and didn't bring your own you won't be left hanging.

I use the Saint sintered pads for my normal setup. I believe Galfer makes a pad that's compatible with the Quadiems. Other than TRP, Shimano, and Galfer, I didn't know we had any other options.
Agreed. With my brakes being brand new, I haven't had to bother with new pads yet, but the fact that I can just use any Saint pads is super nice. Gives us a ton more options than we would otherwise have with a "smaller" companies brakes.

It looks like Trickstuff makes a few pads for the saint as well, but I'm not sure how to order them. Then I hear of other third party brands, like Jagwire, and Truckerco, etc.

I'm just not sure which ones are "budget aftermarket", which are "OEM spec", and if any are "better.

Thanks for the help :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.