Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to move on from the Evolution shock that came OEM on the Rocky Altitude 750. It's not tunable enough to give a good combination of plush ride, stable pedaling platform and big hit absorption. Cannot be effectively upgraded by any of the aftermarket custom tune operations.
Rider weight 120lbs. Rides fairly aggressively. 80% technical cross country 20% downhill. Minimal chairlift/shuttle assist.

Would like to hear some real world experiences to help determine whether I would be better off:
1. buy a used Float CTD Factory shock and sending off to Avalanche for the SSD/HSB upgrade. Estimated cost $450-$550.

or

2. buy a new Fox Float X or Rockshox Monarch Plus and call it good. Estimated cost $500-$600

3. I can't afford to buy a Float X and then send it out for custom tune.

I'm not really interested in hearing how much you love one or the other unless you can compare one to the other or something similar. I'm going to assume that if you went from a stock ANYTHING to either a custom tuned shock or a much more expensive shock that you love the difference it made. I just want to know which is going to serve me better.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Monarch Plus. You can tune it yourself. RockShox doesn't freak out if you open up the damper body and mess with the shim stack. There are many solid options for custom shim stacks and IFP pressures you can mess with. You can get parts easily from a wide variety of places.

mk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts