Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious, did everyone enjoy Camp Mac as much as I did? I find a special challenge in riding in that much mud.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun on Saturday, even if the singletrack at the top of the Course was turned into messy logging road. I got 5th out of 7 in the Junior Men (age 17-18) class. how did you all do. I will post pics once I get my camera connection working again.

Jake

·
Registered
929 Posts
Glad to hear you had fun!

I didn't make this race because I figure the mud would be too much and I live nearly 2 1/2 hours away so I opted out. Be sure to post those pictures- I'd love to check them out!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Not that muddy?

I might get killed for this...but I really did n't think it was muddy. Maybe 3% of the course was really muddy and the rest was just slick. I was n't thinking about mud 97% of the time (just the very end of the course for like 30 ft. and like a mile before that there was a muddy section that was about 100 ft. long), I was thinking about those sick downhills and long, technical climbs. That was the hardest MTB course i have ever raced....I loved it. The downhills had jumps, dropoffs (the begginner course cut out some of these section but not all), super tech sections. It was all climbing or desecending! Great. I have never been racing and looking forward to a climb because my hands hurt so bad from a downhill.

(Also, I was dissappointed to hear that people continue to litter GU packets all over the place. I understand a few may be dropped accidentally but when there are as many as people said there were it seems intentional and wrong.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
It was a good race. I missed some of the technical bits, and it felt like there was more climbing last year, but I may also be in better shape.

It was a good day. Despite 3 out of 6 of my teammates going off course (including me) we managed 3 top 5 finishes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh Camp Mack

Camp Mack is my normal ride. I don't race and didn't go to watch on Saturday, but what was the route, and what drops and jumps are you talking about?The trail with the two bridges?

·
Now broadcasting from CO
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes...

LititzDude: I believe that it was the trail with the two bridges. That was a nice piece of singletrack. There were a few small 'rock silde' type things that could easily be jumped, or just coasted down. And, if you timed it right you could get some nice air off the water bars on the first big doubletrack down hill.

Tim C.: Well, I guess it wasn't that muddy, although there were significant muddy sections like that left hook before you went into the main section of singletrack (with the two bridges). I saw a few guys bite the dust on that one. Also, I'm not sure if I would call this the most technical race... you should come to French Creek...

I'm still working on the pics...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
PAmtbiker said:
Tim C.: Well, I guess it wasn't that muddy, although there were significant muddy sections like that left hook before you went into the main section of singletrack (with the two bridges). I saw a few guys bite the dust on that one. Also, I'm not sure if I would call this the most technical race... you should come to French Creek...
i don't think the whole race was that technical, but the parts that were are the most technical stuff I know and I ride wissahickon and french creek on a very regular basis. I just don't know of downhills that are that steep anywhere else. Even at wissahickon (on the regular course) there are no 4ft. dropoffs and downhills so steep that if you try to come to a stop, you'll go over the bars. So I guess its just sections at Camp Mack that are very technical, like that very rocky downhill switch back, plus some technicality was a relief after blue marsh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.