Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

After Syzr, what?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wschruba 
#1 ·
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I've had Syzr's on two different bikes since 2015. They work very well for me in commuting.

I belatedly became aware that Speedplay was sold and had abandoned the pedals. That, I could live with, but the cleats have become scarce and expensive.

I have an unused pair of cleats and am thinking of selling them, along the pedals, and putting the money toward a new system. The question is what to replace them with? I like the float and the ineffable precision feeling, plus with maintenance they seem to last forever. Considering Crank Bros Candy but have concerns about durability.

Thanks

#3 ·
As I noted, I like the float, which is adjustable. Based on what I know about SPDs, that's not their strong point. Regarding Speedplay road pedals, I've had them on my road bike for many years and intentionally went to Syzrs for commuting. MTB shoes work much better for that, particularly running errands.

#4 ·
Float is a weird beast. I don't particularly like clipless pedals anymore, as my feet don't agree with being glued to one spot. That said, while I know there are people out there that need more, the float afforded by the various models of Time, CB, Shimano, etc, are generous if the cleat is fixed 'in the middle'. I know there are fitters that will do just cleats, if that is what you want.

CB pedals are okay, but Time pedals of the similar design (wire loops) are more durable in the long run, and don't release if the opposite side hits something. If that's not a problem, the CB pedals will probably serve just fine. Mind your shoes with both wire-bar designs, as they tend to eat into the soles if carbon.

#5 ·
After pondering this some more I bought T8000s. In the past I wasn't interested in two-sided pedals because I didn't want to fumble with the wrong side, but in practice it's worked well. I rode in my street shoes recently and all is good. They came with SH56 cleats.

I have some soreness on the outside of my left knee. I think the cleat placement is good and I'm attributing this to release tension, which I've recently reduced. If not, I'll have to find someone who knows what he or she is doing.

Product Black Bag Luggage and bags Bicycle part

#7 ·
Interested in your findings.
I use Speedplay Frogs on 4 of my bikes bikes , and X1 on the road bike, so now that the cleats are unavailable , I'll have to find an alternative.

What's the floating like with these SPD ?
I HATE the feeling of not having floating.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.