Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy who told me that he was running a dirt jumping spring in his Pike. The difference in this spring is that the adjustability goes from 5 to 3 inches and not 5.5 to 4" like the stock spring.

I was skeptical, so I called Sram and a rep told me there is no such spring made for the Pike. The rider told me that the spring was after market from a hook-up he had through a shop who had contacts with Sram. Blah, Blah.

Anyways, I was interested in buying this fork and would like to know if any hardcore Pike owners of heard of a dirtjumping spring for the Pike?

·
Registered
606 Posts
ronny said:
I was talking to a guy who told me that he was running a dirt jumping spring in his Pike. The difference in this spring is that the adjustability goes from 5 to 3 inches and not 5.5 to 4" like the stock spring.

I was skeptical, so I called Sram and a rep told me there is no such spring made for the Pike. The rider told me that the spring was after market from a hook-up he had through a shop who had contacts with Sram. Blah, Blah.

Anyways, I was interested in buying this fork and would like to know if any hardcore Pike owners of heard of a dirtjumping spring for the Pike?
The spring he's refering to isn't really an aftermarket spring at all.

It's a psylo spring. The psylo spring has a lower travel range, exactly as you described. It has a shorter spring and push rod, I think, but still the same amount of adjustability.

You can't change only the springs though, you must change the whole U-turn assembly. They cost $30.

Unless you want less than 95mm (which I think is fine for dirt jumping, esp. with a slight stable platform setup), there's no point in getting the psylo spring.

If you don't use over 125mm of travel (or whatever the psylo is, I'm not sure) then the psylo spring would give you the benefit of a rubber bottom out stopper on the spring, which the Pike doesn't have. Not that it really needs it, unless you prefer using super soft springs and don't like hitting bottom.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just dont know?

MicroHuck said:
The spring he's refering to isn't really an aftermarket spring at all.

It's a psylo spring. The psylo spring has a lower travel range, exactly as you described. It has a shorter spring and push rod, I think, but still the same amount of adjustability.

You can't change only the springs though, you must change the whole U-turn assembly. They cost $30.

Unless you want less than 95mm (which I think is fine for dirt jumping, esp. with a slight stable platform setup), there's no point in getting the psylo spring.

If you don't use over 125mm of travel (or whatever the psylo is, I'm not sure) then the psylo spring would give you the benefit of a rubber bottom out stopper on the spring, which the Pike doesn't have. Not that it really needs it, unless you prefer using super soft springs and don't like hitting bottom.
I might as well give you the full story. The guy that owns the Pike Team was using if for a dj fork. The story goes that the guy crashed into another rider going fast and he bent the steerer and cracked the arch. He got a full replacement and now the steerer is a dj steerer/steel?

This guy never mentioned a Psylo spring which is under 5" of travel and he told me that the fork gets 5" of travel. I was also told that it was just a spring and nothing else was changed on the fork. I couldn't imagine someone using a psylo spring for djing especially in this case because this guy told me he weighs 200lbs and has never bottomed the fork. I was thinking that maybe the spring was the x-firm and it was hard to get the full range of travel???

So either this dude is lying to me or there is an after market spring out there somewhere for the Pike. I am not a dirt jumper either, I just want a Pike fork and dont want to pay the Canadian price for one which is a minimum of $700.00+ tax.

I was thinking about buying this fork but now I am not too sure. I just cut and pasted the ad, so you could have a look for yourself.

I am confused.

brand new rock shox pike team
brand new uncut dirt jump steerer, 3 to 5 inches travel, dirt jump spring kit, 20 mm axle, never ridden.
Size::
E-mail: len hornidge
Ph.: Location: whistler
Price: $550 CAN
Ad no#: 129044
Date: 05/13/05 1:57 am

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I talked to the owner of the Pike again and he swears the spring is not a Psylo and the U turn assembly is the original for sure. What he did tell me is the spring has a spacer and there is no rubber stop mechanism to prevent bottoming, which is more like the Pike and not the Psylo.

Just words, but I thought I would let you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.