Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing the brake pads on my Hayes 9s the brake lever had to be pulled in WAY further for the brakes to lock up. I adjusted that little screw thing and they are ok now, I was just wondering why this would happen because if it happens again the next time i change them there is no more adjusting of the lever cause it is already screwed all the way in?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Funny thing. I am speculating now... Would it be possible that you lost some brake fluid? Possibly when you pushed the caliber back? Was there any spilling at the break levers?

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
My $.02...

Here's a couple things, based on my experience with my HFX-9 Carbons.

Did you try bleeding them to make sure there is no air in the system?

Another thing, my rear (not rear end!) had to be replaced under warranty since the lever needed to be pulled back way further than on the front, and twice I lost all rear braking for a few seconds during a ride. The shop said they tried bleeding them, and they would not take in any new fluid. They said it was a bad master cylinder for the rear and replaced it under warranty.

Hope this helps some!

·
Registered
6 Posts
tim_54321 said:
After changing the brake pads on my Hayes 9s the brake lever had to be pulled in WAY further for the brakes to lock up. I adjusted that little screw thing and they are ok now, I was just wondering why this would happen because if it happens again the next time i change them there is no more adjusting of the lever cause it is already screwed all the way in?

Thanks
When adjusting the little screw in the lever (which by the way is notorious for unscrewing itselv due to vibrations on the HFX9XC), you are only adjusting the lever reach, not the pressure point in the master. I had the same thing happen to my Hayes 9, but only when the pads were worn out. New pads (BBBs) installed, and the pressure point was back to normal. I'm guessing you need to bleed the system, or at least make sure the pistons in the caliper are pushed all the way in before installing the new pads. But you probably wouldn't get the new pads in there in the first place if you didn't make room for them first...

- Fx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.