Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
oh crap...
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Milk Money would be a great bike for me to hold on to if I knew I'd be back in Iowa in the next couple of years living and riding. The terrain would be perfect for this bike. However, I'll probably stick around here in Boulder/Nederland for a while as my wife is more rooted here - and the riding is pretty sweet!

With that in mind, I feel like I might be in the market for more travel than even the MM 4.0. I fractured my C4 and C5 vertebra last April and am just really getting back on the bike for some good hard riding. The SS nature of the MM leaves my back wrenched and I need more time to recover between rides, so I'm thinking about gears more often. Longer than a two hour ride - even on the road, leaves my neck hurting more than I'd care to buffer with a bunch of Ibuprofen.

I also now only have room for one mountain bike at a time. My Vaya fills the bill for gravel and road duty. So, I've been thinking about the Sultan (on sale) and outfit it with a 140mm fork...but maybe if I got a 120mm fork for my current MM 3.0 and put on gears that would be enough? If I'm gonna be dedicated to gears for a while, maybe I should get a dedicated geared bike made for sitting and spinning? Other bikes I have on my mind are the Banshee Prime and the Ibis Ripley. I've thought about the Tallboy, but I guess if I get a different bike, I'd really like to move up to a 140mm fork. I've ridden the Sultan and enjoyed it, and it's available, but if I were to try to move the MM, I'd be out a mountain bike quite a while if I was waiting around for the Prime or Ripley.

Maybe those with similar injuries could chime in...has a sit and spin type of ride with gobs of travel helped you recover between rides faster?

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
A 120mm fork on a MM 3.0 sounds like a mismatch to me. I've given some thought to putting a 120mm on a MM 4.0, but I'm not sure that would be a good match either, because the MM suspension is so firm.

If you want squish, I think any number of the big travel 29ers would work well. The Sultan is a well respected bike. It sounds like a good choice to me.

·
oh crap...
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 120mm fork on a MM 3.0 sounds like a mismatch to me. I've given some thought to putting a 120mm on a MM 4.0, but I'm not sure that would be a good match either, because the MM suspension is so firm.
Thanks, bsdc. This is my first full suspension bike, only short demos are the experiences I've had on others...like the Tallboy (2011), Sultan (2010), and Jet 9 (2009). So my experience is limited and leaves me in the dark on what to expect. Good to know that the MM is regarded as firm. As far as the fork goes, I know Devin specs the 3.0 with up to 100mm but I've heard Enel say that his bike really became more fun when he put 120mm up front. I don't know if that would translate into the comfort I'm looking for if I combined that with gears on my MM 3.0.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I put a 120mm fork (U-turn Reba) on my MM 3.0 and it helped but not that much. You're still limited by the travel in the rear. I suspect you would want more. I know I did, which is why I got a MM 4.0. It is significantly more plush than the 3.0. Still just as much fun, just more comfy now.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
My two scents

are that according to your first post, you suggest it's the singelspeed factor, not lack of suspension that is hurting your back. If that's true, try putting some dangly bits on your MM. If it doesn't work out, you'll at worst be able to move them over to your new frame.

Why spend money on a new frame if you don't need to? Unless you want to, but that's another thing entirely... ;)

·
oh crap...
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why spend money on a new frame if you don't need to? Unless you want to, but that's another thing entirely... ;)
You got me in that there is definitely a want to buy something new :D But it is a combination of both SS and I think not enough travel to sit down on the seat and take a load off for a bit that got me wanting a change.

The sale on Turners has really got me itching right now...

·
oh crap...
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! Glad you are still riding! Does it take a plush bike to keep you riding or doesn't it matter?

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
Not trying to make fun of anyone. The thread title and first post just seemed random is all. I must have missed something...

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
You got me in that there is definitely a want to buy something new :D But it is a combination of both SS and I think not enough travel to sit down on the seat and take a load off for a bit that got me wanting a change.

The sale on Turners has really got me itching right now...
Haha, I'm the last person that should be saying that to anyone... These days, however, with how well bike like Sultans & Tallboys pedal, there's really no reason not to have 4+ inches of travel...unless you're poor like me. Next year is another story, though...

Maybe you could add a thudbuster to the MM, just for Padre? :D

·
My other bike is a GasGas
125 Posts
Farmer has it right.

Clicked the "New Thread" button in the "What do you ride after your spinal Injury" thread. :nono:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts