Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been 4 year relationship with my 2007 stumpjumper FSR... primarily good times.. but starting to be routine. To spice things up, i got wider handlebars/ grips and then splurged for a adjustable seat post. Those upgrades helped quite a bit, but now my eyes are starting to wonder. My friends have gone to newer/younger bikes like the Pivot mach5.

I'm wondering if it is time to try something new, but don't know where to start. Thought about 29er rout.. or a different 26er frame to swap my parts.. Or go crazy and attempt SS. Im' at a bike life crisis.

My question to whomever is:::

Is the grass greener? or should I stick with what works (and update wheelset)
should i avoid SS if I'm a clyde with fair + endurance?
or divorce the SJ and go for something different?

I typically ride all mountain in SoCal (intermediate level)

I feel guilty just writing this.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
The grass is far greener (and stronger) on the SS side of things..... I used to ride a singlespeed hardtail, but then the fork crapped out and I got a great offer for a hardtail spec-d out with full XTR. As a college student living in the dorms, I don't have room to keep the singlespeed hardtail and the geared hardtail and the geared road bike and the fixed commuter, so I'm going to have to let the singlespeed hardtail go.... It was a great ride, though. :sad:

·
The perfessor
824 Posts
Felt the same way last year after riding a FSR 26er (Cannondale Jekyll 2004).......found a trade deal that netted a SS rigid 29er and have fixed the "Beastie" quite nicely........I can't run the ultra wicked trails but I do enjoy the flatter and / or smoother rides on it..........

G

·
rigid 29'er single speed with vee brakes and great big tires.

it'll break your balls every time you ride it and you'll love every second of it...

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'm not surprised that you would be have a growing interest in a new relationship after four years. You might be satisfied with just a fling or other un-committed relationship at this point. You won't know until you try. Too bad you just missed Outerbike. At Outerbike you have the opportunity to play around without committing. Depending on what kinds of new and exciting prospects are available in our neighborhood you may want to check shops in your neighborhood to see if you can soil your oats. Who knows, you may be unable to commit to just one relationship. In that case, welcome to "the lifestyle".

Rides which come to my mind, Pivot Mach 5.7, Turner 5-spot, Ibis Mojo HD.

Sincerely,

Ann Landers

·
I4NI
1,222 Posts
I suggest two timming her. I'm glade I did'nt dump mine right after getting a new fling. My oldie just fit me better even when giving my new ride some saddle time.

·
2,989 Posts
Ditch the worn out hag and man up to some sweet SS action. 26" or 29"( I like the former). Then, when you tire of that, make her rigid, it;s like a whole new ride. My girlfriend is jealous of my mountain bike.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Reminds me of a song I've heard...

It sings...You can't can't call it cheatin', cuz she reminds me of you:thumbsup:.

Go ahead and indulge yourself , you'll be glad you did!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.