Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year i will be taking a sabbatical to drive up the east coast of Africa for a year. I have a chameleon and a nomad at my disposal but i only have space to take one with me. What would be your choice ? I am leaning towards the lizard because it has less moving parts making it more reliable. But the nomad can take beating and is the safer option if i decide to bomb a trail and i am far away from any hospitals. Taking spares with me is difficult because space is very limited in the car because i need spare for it to. There is no shop on the way up i can service my bike until i get to Italy once i cross the Mediterranean from Tunisia.
I service my bike every 1000 km, what can i get away with without destroying my float and bearings on the nomad... 2000 - 3000 ?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Depends on what and where you´re riding.
I take good care of my bike (wipe the stanchions and shock after most rides and apply a bit of stanchion lube - couple of seconds that´s it)
My Heckler ran 2000 rough trail miles last year - I plan to get the shock serviced, but it still feels good right now. Even held up to -15°Celsius winter rides.

The 2003 Heckler I had before never saw fresh bearings and was still smooth after 5 really hard seasons with some occasional bikepark trips.
I bought a new shock at some point though.

I eat chainrings,chains and cassettes though. Be sure to change cables and bleed the brakes before your trip. Good meaty tires should also help. The people with those old (yeah they are good enough, I don´t need to change them yet) tires always flat :D

Greetings Znarf

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The terrain is so varied jungle, desert, etc ....

2000 miles shew .. what fork do you have Znarf ? I will bring a bleed kit for sure. Spare break pads, new set of tires tubes. I should really spend some time in a bike shop to learn a basic service.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The fork was a Fox 36 Talas 2009. Gave me no trouble and got smoother over time.
Right now I am on a 2010 Lyrik Coil U-turn because I scratched the stanchion really bad on the Fox and had to exchange it. :madman:

What brakes are you running? Dot or mineral oil?

About the pivots:
I am usually geeky about my equipment, but when on a roadtrip/in holidays I would rather ride with sloppy bushings than passing up. As long as your fork/shock/brakes don´t blow I wouldn´t worry about servicing anything during the road trip. Spent some of my best riding days back in 2003 in France with a really worn out headset. Bugged me at first, tried to fix it on the trip and went through a lot of trouble to get a new headset in the middle of nowhere in rural France. Had no success and just rode the bike as it was. Did work out okay after getting used to the strange steering.

Where exactly will you do your roadtrip? what countries? Some of those east african countries might be a bit dangerous at the moment?

But sounds like a lot of fun and probably some really intensive impressions!

Greetings Znarf

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm how is that Lyrik compared to the talas ?

I am running avid 5's dot fluid.

Yea Africa has its moments but a lot of it depends on the persons attitude towards corruption, poverty and ignorance. When a police man demands a bribe and you are the only tourist in 100 km you think very hard about taking liberties :) But the good people out weigh the bad 10 fold.

I will be starting in South Africa then to Namibia, Angola, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt then either go around the Mediterranean via Turkey or take a left into Libya, Tunisia and catch a ferry to Italy. I have a friend that might come with if he does i will most probably do West Africa.

A friend of mine did this 2 years ago with his family check it out bru.
http://ons4.reproroom.com/

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
OT, but tunisia and morocco shoud have some awesome terrain--i think NWD 9 filmed in some of those places. just a note in case you were taking a language book, the arabic spoken in egypt is almost incomprehensible to folks in morocco, and vice versa (different dialect). but basic arabic phrases should come in pretty handy in egypt, sudan, ethiopia, etc

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea the Atlas mountains are legendary i think big mountain bike adventures do trips there .... one day i hope to ride those trails.

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
That sounds like the trip of a lifetime...... lucky bastard!:thumbsup: Good luck and hopefully no incidents!! I would take the nomad, just sounds like you could be encountering some pretty rugged terrain!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts