Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a nasty experience with a carbon front fork on a gravel bike and am pretty terrified of sudden catastrophic failure. Messed up my wrists in the process. I'm considering switching to a MTB because of the front forks with suspension. Do they have the potential to fail like rigid forks do, or do they break differently?

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
It does not matter.

Your gonna die anyway.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Sports equipment Bicycle wheel

Anything could break. Not all carbon is created equal. If you really want to know for sure, buy a new crabon fork and have Raul at Luescher Teknik give it an ultrasound to check for manufacturing defects Home

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 1248926

Anything could break. Not all carbon is created equal. If you really want to know for sure, buy a new crabon fork and have Raul at Luescher Teknik give it an ultrasound to check for manufacturing defects Home
I've seen that photo before... I wouldn't be doing anything that wild. I figured the only part of a suspension fork that might break in normal use would be the aluminum steerer tube?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ive never seen an aluminum steer tube fail in like 20+ years of riding. Modern suspension forks, when maintained properly and inspected once in a while, are extremely reliable.

If youre looking for a fork for a gravel bike, i think Fox and MRP make very short travel versions of their XC forks for gravel bikes that are probably worth checking out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know. I just want something safer than a rigid fork and figured that MTB suspension forks are likely more reliable and sturdier. I've never heard of one catastrophically failing without warning or not due to some drop or hard riding.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I think you would not be disappointed. Something like that with drop bars would probably be more comfortable than a flat bar mtb on long rides. I ride my hardtail mtb on gravel all the time, but i dont do long rides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried a few mountain bikes and it's not the flat bars that I find uncomfortable so much as the width of the bars. It hurts my shoulders and upper back on long rides and reminds me of riding a chopper. Drop bars might be the solution, or maybe flat bars with some sort of add-on or aerobars.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Flat bars do not work for me on the road. It's my hands and wrists that object after maybe 30-45 minutes. I can ride them for hours mtbing. Agree that width is probably a factor. I have an aggressive position on road bikes with the tops of the bars 10cm below the top of the saddle and can ride all day.

Forks break, but it's pretty rare in my experience. I know more guys who had bad crashes breaking bars or cranks...or pedal spindles.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
My comfort zone is riding stuff that's overbuilt. Too many people are obsessed with low weight these days and ride bikes that are not really tough enough for their weight, riding use or to last the length of time they expect them to. Racers use carbon racers get new bikes every year and replacements if they crash.

Just forget being a weight wanky, ride bikes that are a bit tougher than really needed and keep an eye on maintenance. Do that and it's very unlikely you'll see a big failure.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I had a nasty experience with a carbon front fork on a gravel bike and am pretty terrified of sudden catastrophic failure. Messed up my wrists in the process. I'm considering switching to a MTB because of the front forks with suspension. Do they have the potential to fail like rigid forks do, or do they break differently?
Just get yourself a solid steel bike! People rode them for 100 years and all of a sudden, those of us who ride steel bikes are looked at as some kind of luddites. You'll have to try pretty hard to destroy a steel bike; I would know, I've been trying to destroy mine for years with no luck.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Good quality, brand name carbon forks should be extremely durable. Weight weenie racer forks or cheap asian direct forks are suspect. Avoid the ones in the 400-500g range.

I've ridden a variety of carbon forks pretty hard (CX and Mountain) and not had any issues, but that doesn't mean **** doesn't happen. I'm 205 lbs without gear for the record.

If you've had a bad crash because of a product failure I understand your hesitation. A good quality steel fork should ease your mind and ride really nice. You don't necessarily need a MTB unless you want one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.