Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've probably got a good 30 rides under my belt now on the AFR and rode an FR for a year prior to that.

the bottom line for me is that there's nothing the FR can do that the AFR can't however the AFR should be able to do more but I won't be exploring that till the chairlifts for fotwilliam open again in may.

most of the differences are pretty subtle from a day to day point of view. The FR pedalled well but I'm convinced the AFR pedals better. I suspect it may be due to using the HS chainset which keeps the main pivot bang in line with the 24T ring whereas with a double running a 22/36 the pivot fell between the 2 rings. The AFR pedals very 'flat' if that makes sense? from spinning uphill to standing and honking it feels very efficient. So did the FR but more so the AFR.

The BB on the AFR is lower which helps it turn compared to the FR but it's still no AM in this regard.

Probably the biggest factor is weight(although frame weights are the same). My FR ran between 34 and 38lb depending on set up. My AFR is currently just under 40lb. I expect to get that down to 38lb but probably not much lower without sacrificing performance. new forks should loose 1lb, Ti spring and lighter pedals but thats about it. you could go lower by fitting 170mm lyrics, an air shock and ditching the Hammerschmidt but thats not for me(I will be trying the lyrics though just to see what like)

Overalll, i prefer the AFR and can't say I'm noticing the extra weight

I know the optimal bike for 90% of my riding would be an AM but I get a perverse satisfaction in being able to do it all on a 40lb monster. I've got other bikes more suitable for some stuff but still find myself taking the AFR whenever i can

one other thing to note is the very low slung TT compared to the FR. My mate currently runs a large FR but at 6'4"(nearly all legs!) i don't think he's going to get away with a large AFR as the ST is 30mm lower and the XL AFR is a good bit longer so he may have to go custom which is a shame.

·
Registered
124 Posts
dipper said:
I'
I know the optimal bike for 90% of my riding would be an AM but I get a perverse satisfaction in being able to do it all on a 40lb monster. I've got other bikes more suitable for some stuff but still find myself taking the AFR whenever i can
i agree....i don't always have a look at my watch while riding, i don't look at the weight for this type of bikes....
Despite the weight, you can pedal it uphill ? :thumbsup:
It seems to be a very good machine, in a few weeks, i'll see the first AFR frames, here, in France :D.....and i'll ask to their owners what they think about this frame....

Steve.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
For me it would seem odd to put a front mech on an AFR, this bike is designed for a BBoxx 2 for sure, well substitute the HS at present.... I think dipper makes some very valid points in regards tot he awesome chainline that the HS allows...

It is for sure confidence inspiring to know that you can ride to the top and take on any stunt etc etc on the desent, thats what true hardcore riding is about..... That is pretty much what I built my FR for, it has excelled, but now that I have been thrashing the Helius AC 29er, am loving the speed on the single track too more now....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Whafe said:
For me it would seem odd to put a front mech on an AFR, this bike is designed for a BBoxx 2 for sure, well substitute the HS at present.... I think dipper makes some very valid points in regards tot he awesome chainline that the HS allows...

It is for sure confidence inspiring to know that you can ride to the top and take on any stunt etc etc on the desent, thats what true hardcore riding is about..... That is pretty much what I built my FR for, it has excelled, but now that I have been thrashing the Helius AC 29er, am loving the speed on the single track too more now....
I agree. The HS or Bboxx are definitely the way forward. I think an AM with HS would make an awesome machine. capability to build it @ 32lb with light wheel's and shocks or beef it up with bigger wheels, CCDb and something like a lyric 170 DH....ooohh, I feel another project comiing on!:D

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
dipper said:
I agree. The HS or Bboxx are definitely the way forward. I think an AM with HS would make an awesome machine. capability to build it @ 32lb with light wheel's and shocks or beef it up with bigger wheels, CCDb and something like a lyric 170 DH....ooohh, I feel another project comiing on!:D
mmmmmmmm...if only BBox was available.........:nono:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dipper thanks for the feedback. AFR has alot of attension here the guys that are riding FR now are really not droping alot they are riding very technical sections but fast so with the extra weight we are trying to figure out if it is worth it. The next question do you guys like the HS knowing the AFR will need to be run with it.

thanks ncig

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
ncig said:
dipper thanks for the feedback. AFR has alot of attension here the guys that are riding FR now are really not droping alot they are riding very technical sections but fast so with the extra weight we are trying to figure out if it is worth it. The next question do you guys like the HS knowing the AFR will need to be run with it.

thanks ncig
I love the HS. I'm sure it's partly responsible for how well the AFR pedals. For these types of bikes it's perfect(although losing a fw grams would be good!) I'm not sure I'd be going for one on a lighter bike(ie. an AC) where the weight may be an issue and I'd spend more time in the marginally less efficient overdrive. :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.