Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching on google for white stems but could find none of what I found within the MTBR reviews section.

I want a white stem for my Hardrock, I bought a new white fork and I would LOVE a white stem to go with it. But I am not looking for HIGH END, I am looking to spend less that say $50 (if possible), I just want something equal to or better than the factory one, this is more of a cosmetic mod than actually needing one.

Plus I have no idea what size to get.. The factory specs are Alloy A-head, 4 bolt, 20 degree rise, 25.4mm clamp but I did just order a new 31.8 handle bar so it must fit that.

I have no idea is I should stay with the same size stem (rise and length) it seems comfortable now but its all I have tried. But but new handle bars do have a slight more of a rise to them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, nope the fork has not been cut yet, I just ordered it at the local bike shop today, well put my name on the hold list, the are getting some in this week.

Now what the 100mm, 110mm, and 120mm mean, how do I measure that so know what I currently have?

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
flowmaster said:
Paint your neck of choice.
He's got a good point. If it's just a cosmetic mod like you mentioned just change the look of what you currently have. Hell, you could probably get your stem powdercoated white for less than you'd spend on a new stem. Or you could always post on here or Craigslist that you're looking to trade a black stem for a white stem.

·
born to chill
986 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
He's got a good point. If it's just a cosmetic mod like you mentioned just change the look of what you currently have. Hell, you could probably get your stem powdercoated white for less than you'd spend on a new stem. Or you could always post on here or Craigslist that you're looking to trade a black stem for a white stem.
Out of curiosity I called up my local powdercoater and he wants $25 to do it, which actually seems high to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Does seem a little high considering I got a frame done for $75, but still less than some stems.
i would suspect the price quotes is relative to time value moreso than material costs, neh? i used to get paintball markers anodized and there was a minimum cost involved regardless of the number of parts or size.

cbzdel, not sure if you're an Ebay'er, but if so...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ritchey-4-A...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5b06a778

could be worth watching if the stem length is right for you. what length do you need?

also, bikewagon has several Truvativ stems in white and they all have the OBO option on the buy it now feature:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Truvativ-AKA-31...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f067c7d47

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.