Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
besides the BD Motos, are there other affordable Ti 29er HTs out there? affordable being in the $2k range for complete bikes. any leads on framesets in the <$1K range? doing a bit of research for a friend.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Interesting

moschika said:
besides the BD Motos, are there other affordable Ti 29er HTs out there? affordable being in the $2k range for complete bikes. any leads on framesets in the <$1K range? doing a bit of research for a friend.
This "friend" of yours looking for a Ti SS to replace his trusted Curtlo? Hmmm?

What about Airborne, they doing 29rs? I think my TiHag frame was about $650. But then again that was eons ago, and a 26r. So nevermind with my drivel.

Anyway I'll keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
JMac47 said:

What about Airborne, they doing 29rs? I think my TiHag frame was about $650. But then again that was eons ago, and a 26r. So nevermind with my drivel.

Airborne's working their way back, but not doing Ti

·
don't try this at home
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JMac47 said:

haha. really it is for a friend. my sycip is all the mtb i need. i did convert the curtlo to a 96er though.

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
Is any reason besides the name not to get a the frame from bikes direct if you're talking 1k or less ? Look at the close up pics of the construction details, they tell the story. I'm not saying its Indy fab or potts quality but you can be into one for $700 if you sell the fork it comes with. If the name is an issue scotch brite the decals off.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Habanero .. 29er

theextremist04 said:
But that $1295 is fully custom, if he knows what he wants. Steal at that price.
I have spoken to Habanero and he considers a bike being a 29er a "custom" option. For the 1295, I would go with Carver bikes who seems to have much more experience with 29ers.

I have contacted a couple of those ebay sellers about a ti 29er. Their custom prices are great, basically taking out the middle man (Bikes Direct, Carver, or Habanero) and going directly to the source. Welds? When I am riding fast the last thing I am looking at are the welds on my frame. Afterwards, give me a cold one and the bike can stay dirty.

Now frame warranty, that is my big concern. I am currently asking them about this. I plan to get one of these and do a long term review/post.

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
Ottoreni said:
I have contacted a couple of those ebay sellers about a ti 29er. Their custom prices are great, basically taking out the middle man (Bikes Direct, Carver, or Habanero) and going directly to the source. Welds? When I am riding fast the last thing I am looking at are the welds on my frame. Afterwards, give me a cold one and the bike can stay dirty.
One of the ebay sellers is going to do a custom frame for you ? Are you sure they understand what you are asking ? I doubt they do if you don't speak chinese fluently.

Do you understand that the whole thing is not only a question of welds but sound design principals ? Do you really think a frame with dropouts made of scrap plate with giant holes cut in them is a value ? Are they going to add a brake brace for you ? or lose the outdated v brake posts ? Are you going to pay to ship it back to china to have them look at it if it breaks ? Will you have their phone number if they decide to disappear from ebay ?

Bottom line is why would you insist on going through this trouble when a proven source for a $700 frame already exists ? With people in america that will honor a warranty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.