Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheapish (< €70) but reliable rear hub for and upcoming AM hardtail build. As I want to keep the costs as low as I can (and still get "quality" stuff) I'd like to build a wheelset rather than buying a complete one.

I have a 36H QR15 XT hub, which I would use so I'm looking for a 36H for the rear wheel. (it can be 32H if I really have to but don't like the idea of different spoke count - don't know why)

What hub should I get? Opinions are extremely different on forums, every hub gets trashed, even hope, chris king, etc.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
Might look at the Novatec D042 SB, solid cro-mo axle and freehub body, 4 cartridge bearings, 3 pawl 24 poe engagement, and available in 36h

Novatec - NT-D042SB rear hub - 26bikes.com

I've used several of their hubs and they have been good quality for the price.

Of course the XT M756 comes in 36h too if you're looking to match the front M758

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might look at the Novatec D042 SB, solid cro-mo axle and freehub body, 4 cartridge bearings, 3 pawl 24 poe engagement, and available in 36h

Novatec - NT-D042SB rear hub - 26bikes.com

I've used several of their hubs and they have been good quality for the price.

Of course the XT M756 comes in 36h too if you're looking to match the front M758
Looks good. Truth is my current rear hub is a novatec one, maybe exactly this but I don't know. I have to say I'm satisfied with it so it may be a good idea to get another one. (so I don't have to gut my current bike's wheel)
As I see there are more Novatec hubs for a little more, I'll look at them too. They certainly fall in the category I'm looking for.
Thanks!

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I'm looking for a cheapish (< €70) but reliable rear hub for and upcoming AM hardtail build....I have a 36H QR15 XT hub, which I would use so I'm looking for a 36H for the rear wheel....
I have that same front hub and on the rear I have the XT 756 hub. I've been running this hub model on my two son's bikes and mine without issue for years. If you know how to adjust old school cones these hubs are a very good value.

I am building a new rear wheel and I looked at all the bling hubs, I just couldn't see paying hundreds more for ~200gms saving. (XT756 is $50 here in the US). Spares are easily sourced for reasonable cost, though I haven't even lost a freehub yet.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,245 Posts
Looks good. Truth is my current rear hub is a novatec one, maybe exactly this but I don't know. I have to say I'm satisfied with it so it may be a good idea to get another one. (so I don't have to gut my current bike's wheel)
As I see there are more Novatec hubs for a little more, I'll look at them too. They certainly fall in the category I'm looking for.
Thanks!
I'm personally running a D812SB on my ride, the construction of it looks solid, the engagement is decent (27poe), it's surprisingly quiet, and weighs only 297g.

I got the front and the rear for $85 US

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.