Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might have an opportunity to transfer from Sandia to LANL. While it's a $12k/yr raise, i see that real estate prices are crazy up there :eekster:. Is commuting from Abq out of the question? Or is there a secret to finding a place to live up there ??.? Love the riding opportunities in LA. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do it

I have coworkers who commute from Rio Rancho. It seems sad to me to throw away all that time. You can't buy it back.

The $1000/mo raise should easily cover the increase in mortgage payments. Drive around and look; there are lots of places for sale. The realtors used to advertise heavily in the LA Monitor newspaper, but now they don't. I think that means it's a buyers' market right now. When I moved here in 1999, one had to bid on a house before it hit the market and bid higher than the asking price. Now is a good time to buy here, if ever there was a good time.

I don't know what your life situation is. If you're searching for a wife/ husband/ wives/ partners, maybe this isn't the best place. If you have kids, who need night life? The trail network here is extensive and unique. Everyone lives on the edge of town, near a trailhead. Skiing is 20 minutes from your house.

LANL has this 9/80 schedule thing. Look into it. It's a huge benefit. If you work at Sandia, you can certainly deal with LANL.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Banned
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no night life needed, kids are grown, married, so those aren't factors. I like the community, and i love the outdoor opportunities LA offers. i will take another look at real estate in the area.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Because of the finite amount of land, there are no bargains per se in the real estate market here. Nevertheless, there are some great hidden deals on rentals. There are the normal rentals that you find in the newspaper and on the websites, but there are also many scientists who go on change of station that are willing to rent out their houses to other scientists or LANL employees, sometimes at outrageously reasonable rates. To find those opportunities, you need to start reaching out to some of the people in the organization you may be working with at LANL, and they will make enquiries, etc. Sometimes a match will come out of the blue, sometimes it takes a little perseverance. The key may be to rent month to month in some of the regular rentals for a while. There are lots of good rental deals to be had for non-smokers who hold security clearances. Sometimes it just takes a little time to find them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.