Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for hardtail frame to build up as single speed. Two requirements: 1. Boost spacing in the rear (148mm). 2. Does not need chain tensioner.. So, I guess with any PF30 BB frame, I could use an eccentric BB. Or if the rear axle is moveable, that would work too. Looking for something not too expensive. I have found the following so far:

Kona Unit ($599; chromoly; sold out)
Santa Cruz Chameleon ($849; aluminum; in stock in large and medium)
Niner Air 9 ($630; aluminum; sold out)

Are there any other options? Do not really care about material, but carbon is probably too pricey. Do you know any other frame makers for a hardtail single speed?

My other option is to just buy a Niner Air 9 SLX SS....I found some in stock in my size, large at $2090. Seems like good build. But, it might be fun to build one up and use a lot of my old parts to save money.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Why is the SS forum so quiet these days?

·
Registered
713 Posts

Looks like the dropouts can slide back and forth!

But you can't go wrong with a Karate Monkey as well!

P.S. Why is the SS forum so quiet these days?
Because single speeding is dead, and all the old singlespeeders from them early days are now out riding geared gravel bikes because they have osteoarthritic knees?o_O

·
Registered
105 Posts

Looks like the dropouts can slide back and forth!

But you can't go wrong with a Karate Monkey as well!

Because single speeding is dead, and all the old singlespeeders from them early days are now out riding gravel bikes with because they have osteoarthritic knees?o_O
Oh I see, he doesn't want a derailleur pulley style tensioner but chain tugs are fine. In that case, yes, an OptOut Hooky fits the bill!

·
Rippin da fAt
11,886 Posts
Tugs and snail cams are inferior to sliding dropouts. EBB is meh.

Any of the alternators or other slider systems is the only way to fly with reliability and no tensioner since they are obsolete other than for use in a full spension SS.

All RSD's are sliders, standard. Some Salsa offerings. Many others too.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Canfield Nimble 9, sliding drops. Been perfect for a year for me. not in stock but a great bike.

These two might be in stock.

Kona Honzo DL

Kona Honzo ST

I would avoid EBB IMO.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The honzo esd geo is a bit extreme but i love mine and the sliding dropouts are great for trying different chainstay lengths even in geared mode.
Or maybe a different honzo, hayduke, or timberjack.
Or i bought a bikes direct single speed for about $300 for an in-laws visit bike (stored at their house) sliding dropouts and an amazing value. Nothing i can huck like my big bikes but very solid for average mountain biking. It had old school geo, but again, good for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
honzo esd all day. only onw w fun real modern geo that i know of. got the both honzo st and esd and the esd is just way more fun! modern geo and ss play very well together. steep steatube makes for a GREAT climber. even have mine setup rigid with the fork from an old trek stache. WORKS GREAT!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.