Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just for you dusty, another fockin dhr thread.

well kids, its gettin pretty close to done. a new seat is on the way, so is a set of those blow out stylo cranks ill test out, along with some clear xpel tape (thanx for the link zilla!) that will cover a majority of the tubes much like the original 3m tape turner used. about the only things i HAVE to do is grab a more dependable shock and press in my enduro b/bkt bearings. im lookin at some maggie braided hydro lines and a e13 alli stem down the road too. might do a cane creek zero stack if i dont dig the bar position and that will require a short crown as well.

ryan aka rufusdesign did the team logo based off a sharpie drawing i gave him and created the new boxxer stickers then got them shipped the very next day. the team logo is our old dh team from az based off the real balzac apartment complex back in tempe. honest. anyway i thought id sport it again after all these years and ryan did a helluva job on it with the color really goin well with the highlites in the black smoke pc job from olympic. the boxxer stuff was my color choice to mellow out the bright red and silver that came stock. these even showed up with cut 3m tape applied on em. very sano! i dug his work enough to ask him for a canycorn logo for her stinger. the new logos for the rfx are on the way as soon as we work out some bugs. theyre not earth shatterin like jnc's printing but a bit diff than stock so i think youll be surprised. im glad i found this guy as hes a fine option to jays excellent custom work. oh, the total bill for all 6 stickers was $75 shipped, $5 each for the team stickers and 3 turner logos, $50 for the 2 boxxer stickers w/ 3m tape. not bad and damn fast service!

a ton of love to dt for gettin the ball rollin and greg for kickin it my way, bob w, kreater and superstock for the used parts help, airwreck for the push to go forth and conquor and a few other industry folks for other help gettin the needed bits like e13, hope, fox, and qbp. you guys all kick ass!

still need to set up the boxxer so if ya have suggestions, im all ears. i plan to do some short runs and start dialin it in thurs mornin after the annual gobble ride. later in '09, its off to the nationals or at least make the attempt to qualify.

the spec:
Frame: ’06 Turner DHR - Medium 8.5” travel
Shock: Romic D - 9.5” x 3.0”
Rear Fender: Custom Tide OTB
Fork: ’09 Rock Shox Boxxer Team - 8” travel
Headset: Cane Creek Double XC – 1.5” to 1.125” reducer type
Stem: FSA Gravity - 70mm x 5 deg, 31.8 mm
Handlebar: Easton Havoc - 2” x 28.5”, 31.8mm clamp
Grips: ’07 ODI Ruffian Lock On
Brakes: ’07 Magura Louise BAT disc – PM calipers
Rear Brake Adaptor: Magura - 180mm PM to IS
Front Brake Adaptor: Magura - 203mm PM to Boxxer
Brake Rotors: Magura Venti - 180/203mm
Brake Lines: Magura
Shifter: ’05 Sram X-9 - SRP ti hardware
Rear Derailleur: ’09 Sram X-9 - short cage
Derailleur Cable/Housing: Jagwire Switch - 4.5mm
Crank: Race Face Diabolos - 73 x 170mm
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X type
Chainring: Race Face DH - 36 tooth
Bash Ring: Race Face - 36 tooth
Chainguide: ’05 E-13 SRS - ISCG “B”
Pedals: Crank Brothers 50/50 X
Cassette: Sram PG-970 DH - 11/26
Chain: Sram PC-971
Rear Hub: Ringle’ ABBAH - 36h, 135mm x 12mm through axle
Rear Rim: Sun Rhyno Lite XL - 36h
Front Hub: Formula - 32h, 20mm through axle
Front Rim: Mavic 721 - 32h
Spokes: DT/Swiss Competition - brass nipples
Rim Tape: Velox - medium
Tubes: Kenda Extreme - p/v
Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove - 26 x 2.5 kevlar
Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal - 26 x 2.5 kevlar
Seatpost Clamp: Turner - 31.8mm
Seatpost: Easton EA30 – 27.2mm
Saddle: Velo XC - Turner Logo, ti rail

weight as it sits now: 41.4 lbs

intended use: epic xc and multi day self supported road touring

rider: 5' 9", 32" inseam, 165 lbs, semi aggressive beginner level 45+ masters class racer wannabe

future changes: fox dhx 5.0 or avy dhs, e13 alli stem, 2 ply tires, braided hoses, 3m tape, standard magura levers.

additional mods: '95 team acid dipped/machined rear w/ 13.9" b/bkt height, hope pro 2/mavic 721/dt comp/magura sl wheelset, truvative stylo cranks.

by the way, i named it "Teaser" after Tommy Bolin's album. hes a sioux city boy who left to make it big in colorado. it worked and he eventually got a gig with deep purple. all im gonna get into is deep shyt if im not careful with this beast. its also a good description for my oportunities to ride it.

Attachments

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats cool is it wasnt planned. it just kinda happened and im lucky considerin this was built usein mostly used and spare parts. thanx for the compliments.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Very, very nice cc! Well done brah.
BTW FM gets the Xpel credit, It was he who clued me in.

When's the Avy coming?
Why the long stem?
What's the final wt?

Hey you're DH racing? for real? That's too cool, Go for it!

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx guys. its nice to see it come together at last and watch as the "roller" parts go back in their boxes for sale or a more appropriate day. yeah, ryan did a nice job gettin the boxxer lookin sharp. im not a big red fan but im not in a financial position to be picky and whos to complain when its gonna see such limited use? it may not look like it but this is a budget build. the cost would piss most folks off.

thanx alex. hes not gonna tell me to prep the surface with wd40 is he?

talked to craig a cpl weeks back and i havent ruled it out yet. shop guy cost isnt that much more than a new fox but its still more.
the stem is what i had and you know me... mr long stem guy. chances are good itll go in the box soon.
41.4 before the big tubes go in the tires. ive got a set of light dh wheels these tires will go on with light tubes and lighter sl rotors that may drop it down a pound or so. these will be the hd set and get the kenda tubes and 2 ply tires.

ive been playin dh boy occasionally since '95 and the kamakazi was the influance to buy my 1st bike. matter of fact, dh racin is how i discovered turners. i really dig the rush and its the only kinda bike race where im almost kinda competitive... sorta. dt insisted on this build after i won a race on the rfx earlier this year. im totally stoked to ride my 1st honest dh rig and see how i do.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if ya ask me, its not that its horrible routing as much as badly placed and a too few tie down points. the routing itself looks very clean to me. if it ever goes back to paint, i have some plans to fix this to my likeing. for now, a few extra zip ties and rubber spacers keep the lines off my feet and outta harms way. or maybe thats what ya dont like. ill get better pics up later on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
run the hose and the gear cable inside the shock mount and inside of the linkage pivot. no need for more cable ties or funky routing. there are more than enough tie down points just poorly executed

exaclty like this image
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1867255/

hope that make sence.

its exactly how its running on my DHR just don't have pics to hand atm. super clean looking, no chnace of it getting it caught in clothing/ trees etc etc etc . just neat and tidy

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep. i considered that but decided id rather have easy, fast serviceability if needed. ive lost pecious practice time due to poor planning and mishaps so i kept the lines external. agreed, yers is much cleaner than mine and i see the advantages. i went with 4 extra tie points: 1 on the stay, 1 above the b/bkt and 2 on either side of the front shock mount. keeps it all in place under full compression and i hope when things get rough.

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~~
5,931 Posts
Tommy Bolin :thumbsup:

Looks awesome CC, game on Aug. 09 homer gravity gathering, if we can't get in the official nats we'll have our own!

I enjoy getting on the DHR and just carving turns down the street, such a cool feeling.
Your the perfect person to rep Iowa on the DH scene, the media will love it.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sweet! someone knows bolin. i got turned onto him in the early 80's not long after he died and couldnt get enough. still a fave and his work fills my ipod.

the '09 HGG? i like it. wonder how many we could get. man, im so pumped i cant stand the smell. you promised a stocked fridge, right?

its fun all right! tomorrow is the dirty test and i have a photog goin with. weeeeeeeeeee!!!

me? in the media? never. im much better behind the camera or on the radio. truth. ive done it but im not a fan of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts