Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode from the Aetna Springs TH to what we locals call China Camp and back.
China Camp is the top of Oathill Mine Trail/Holmes Place/Palisades Trail intersection.
Rode with both my brothers. One older one younger.
My younger bro was new to all the technical riding.
Our ride time was a relaxing 3 hours of zenning our way through the maze of rock gardens.
This ride is totally doable in 2 hours.
Hardly any climbing. Just one rock garden after the other for about 4 miles. Round trip was 8 miles.
Stayed in middle rung and 3rd the whole way. 3rd rung and fifth gear is possible for most of the way. Rolling terrain with very little climbing. This is the closest thing to downhill both ways that I've ever ridden.

Check it out. Pics in chronological order.

Marc, my younger brother riding my old Scwinn Moab w/Judy shocks

My older brother Michael

The view from China Camp.

The ride back to the Aetna Springs TH.

Anyone who is willing to ride up Oathill Mine from 'Stoga should spend an extra 2 hours to extend the ride to Aetna Spring TH and back. It is a pleasant ride. Very technical, but hardly any climbing. It really is downhill both ways. I swear!

I'll be back by myself to see just how quick I can do this ride.
This is my new favorite ride.
The Aetna Springs TH is 12 miles from my house. Takes 30 minutes to drive there.
I'll be back many times.
The views just don't stop.

·
Banned
167 Posts
jibmaster said:
You are right wOOt. This will be the new way to ride Oathill from 'Stoga and back.
'Stoga > Aetna Springs and back.
This is the new challenge.
Things have changed.
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Folks have been riding that route(sometimes with a bunch of backcountry side options thrown in for good measure) for years...

It's a great place to ride.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete Fagerlin said:
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Folks have been riding that route(sometimes with a bunch of backcountry side options thrown in for good measure) for years...

It's a great place to ride.
I'm one of them. Been riding here for 20 years.
I'm just excited that there is one more legal TH in this area.
The more people that I can get to ride this route the more shuttles I can set up.
This area hasn't been public in the past.
Now it is.
Now I can spill my huge can of beans...
;)

·
organically fed
1,174 Posts
jibmaster said:
You are right wOOt. This will be the new way to ride Oathill from 'Stoga and back.
'Stoga > Aetna Springs and back.
This is the new challenge.
Things have changed.
Man up and RIDE IT!
And CLEAN IT!!!
I'll see that and raise you a little road action.
The STH > 'Stoga > Aetna Springs > back

:thumbsup:

·
organically fed
1,174 Posts
jeng said:
I challenge mtbr.com to ride from Calistoga to Aetna Spings without stopping. Can anyone do it? I'm gonna try. Maybe this weekend. Once you get to "China Camp" it should be smooth sailing from there.
I'm pretty sure I can do it as long as I'm in the ideal gear ratio. Well, I might get knocked to a stop for a sec. here and there.

This weekend...I might be down. Been tempted to see about meetin' up with that other dude who's been planning it...

·
Urban Ninja
2,359 Posts
w00t! said:
I'm pretty sure I can do it as long as I'm in the ideal gear ratio. Well, I might get knocked to a stop for a sec. here and there.

This weekend...I might be down. Been tempted to see about meetin' up with that other dude who's been planning it...
Sunday... 10am at the trail head in Calistoga? See who can make it the farthest? Anybody got some wages to put on the line ;) J.K. I'm bringin gears and suspension. You in? It'll be fun!

·
Registered
178 Posts
If I ride on Sunday

jeng said:
Sunday... 10am at the trail head in Calistoga? See who can make it the farthest? Anybody got some wages to put on the line ;) J.K. I'm bringin gears and suspension. You in? It'll be fun!
I'll probably be done around 10am :), I'll let you know how it went if I see you at the trailhead or run into you on the way down.

David.

·
organically fed
1,174 Posts
jeng said:
I'm in! You bring the mountain lion knife, I'll bring the pepper spray. See ya there!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.