- Chris King front 20mm 110mm 36H
- Chris King rear iso disc 36H
+
2 x Stan's Flow 29er
+
12mm nipples
+ Dt swiss Aerolite spokes

Would you please perfomr a calculation.
I performed 3 calculations: 1st from wheelbuild.com ; 2nd from dt swiss spoke calculator and the 3rd form my local professional wheelbuilder.

Aerolite with 12mm nipples.
Rear right side- 298mm
Rear left side- 300mm
Front left side 298mm
Front right side- 300mm

DT swiss calculator- as attached below:
Front right 297mm and left 296
Rear right 296 left 297

and wheelbuilder.com 's calculation rounded to even lenghts
Front right 297mm left 296mm
Rear right 296mm left 297mm

Attachments

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,763 Posts
I have always used the DT Swiss calc and it has been right on, but the last wheel I built(which was the first 29") the spokes were 2mm short on both sides for a 3X build.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
You have been told this before: let the wheelbuilder decide which spoke lengths to use.
If the builder can't do that, build the wheel yourself.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Why are you using Aerolites for a mtb wheel in the first place? On a 36 spoke wheel no less.
Do you realize arolites will offer no advantages to your wheel and cost 3 times as much as Comps? They look super cool though, especially when laced radial on a road bike.
36h 4 cross is a bad idea, it is weaker, heavier and it causes lots of issues. Stick with 5, 3 or 2 cross.

I cant believe i've been suckered into a DC post.:madman:

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
yes I agree with chequamagon on the spoke length. Average the lengths and get 72 spokes and build it up and I agree with endomaniac 4x is too excessive just go 3x and be done with it.

You are probably under the assumption that 29er wheels can be weak but even if you are 300lbs that build at 36H and 3x and flows will be stout. If you are 200lbs and lower that is almost overkill.

There is very little to be gained under 200lbs by going 32 hole. I am 200lbs w/o gear and ride 32h DT comps on laserdiscs and they are fine. Unless you have already ordered your gear consider going 32H and 3x just to save some complexity and some weight because both those are not worth the trade off for 36hole 4x lacings.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Rockcrusher, many seem to be of a different opinion/knowledge. Adding 4 spokes adds roughly 12.5% in stiffness and strength, I seem to recall reading. Also, 20g of extra spokes is too little to notice.

If 4 extra spokes are not worth it due to the weight, you should go 28-hole.

At 185lb race weight (200lb now), I most certainly notice the help of 4 extra spokes. 32h will do, but 36h will do better, and for longer.

Why not invest in wheel strength if the weight penalty is so minute?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 crosses?

Cloxxki said:
At 185lb race weight (200lb now), I most certainly notice the help of 4 extra spokes. 32h will do, but 36h will do better, and for longer.

I totally agree. That's why I am going 36H with 4 X - 32 at 3X has this same tangenial (angle/ force distribution?) as 36 4x

Who said about 5X and what it could give me?

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
Agreed

Cloxxki said:
Rockcrusher, many seem to be of a different opinion/knowledge. Adding 4 spokes adds roughly 12.5% in stiffness and strength, I seem to recall reading. Also, 20g of extra spokes is too little to notice.

If 4 extra spokes are not worth it due to the weight, you should go 28-hole.

Oh I agree on the spoke hole-ing actually but it seems our Polish friend here is putting together an odd wheelset for no other reason than he is perhaps mistaken as to the actual strength of a 29er wheel. Not knowing much about his size or weight except he has expressed interest in a small or medium full sus 29er I am forecasting that he is on the shorter side of 6' and thus 36hole 4x is probably overkill especially when coupled with stan's flows.

That said if the OP is perhaps on the larger side or the fit side as you are Cloxxi then a 36H rim would be just the ticket. I can say that while not a bruiser racer I ride in tough desert conditions on a rigid rig and have at times wished for a 36H wheelset.

Hopefully the OP can get a sweet wheelset together and get out on a bike so that he can finally gain some respect around here.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Davidcopperfield said:
I gonna share this bike with my father, who weights around 97 kgs, which makes all things look different
97 kgs = 213 lbs, which is heavy, but not huge. Again, I think that four-cross is overkill and that five cross is actually counterproductive. (Read the link I posted above and I think that it will make more sense.)

To give you an idea, I'm about 195 lbs before I load up with a heavy CamelBack. I ride a SS and while I'm not a hucker, I ride and race some relatively aggressive XC trails. Even with that in mind, I'm still running a three year old Bontrager Mustang Disc wheelset that came stock on my (long defunct) Rig. This is not a light wheelset, but it's a basic 32 spoke, 3x pattern, and it's been more than adequate for my needs.

I think 36 hole is a good idea, but stick with a basic three-cross pattern and some more reasonable DT SuperComps and you'll have an amply strong wheelset at a more reasonable price. There's no reason to make this too difficult: simple = smart. ;)

·
Administrator
11,875 Posts
Still I am 90.5kg. I think most will think that this wheelset is way way overbuilt even for a 215lbs rider.

Most just have concerns that you are building and spending an excessive amount of money in the anticipation of failure. Best to see if failure is an option before preparing for it. I wager that 32 or 36h 3x wheels would be more than adequate for all your riding and all your fathers riding. Pretty sure that Mikesee does all his shenanigans on nothing more extreme than that build.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.