Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a buddy’s bike and removed the raceface aeffct crank to install a new chain ring. I was very careful not to drop or lose a spacer. Never removed non drive side with axle. When i reinstalled the crank there was about 1-2mm of side to side play, like a spacer was missing. I reemoved and confirmed the spacer was installed in the proper direction. Also, this came with a self extractor cap. I tightened down the extractor cap as tight as possible without risking damage, and reinstalled. The amount of play reduced. Now it is less than 1mm, but i can still feel a tiny gap when i push the cranks from side to side. Seems a .5 or 1mm spacer would take up the space but i dont have one in the proper inner diameter. I didn’t check for play before taking the crank apart initially so this might be an old problem but i would like to fix it. Does anyone have any tips, ranging from a home fix to where to source a 21.5 mm (as measured by my caliper) inner diameter spacer?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
did you torque it?
Yes I followed factory spec and used a torque wrench. Good first thing to check for sure.

since initial post I installed the chain and cassette. The lateral play in the crank axle is even less noticeable but still there. I think i just need a .5 or 1 mm shim but haven't yet found any on the standard internet searches.to be more specific: its on a 2017 pivot 429, raceface aeffct cranks (not sure BB), measured 21.5mm internal diameter of the current spacer with my caliper. Seems i just need a shim of those dimensions but can't find one.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,534 Posts
Wheels manufacturing makes 24 x .5mm spacers for the nds spindle. They worked to remove the play from my aeffect crank.
^ this.

OP, swing by your LBS and see if they have any spacers in stock. Your Aeffect crank has a 24mm spindle.

If the frame uses a threaded BB you can also shim the BB cup against the frame, but it may be harder to find a shim that thin.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check again. But i have 24mm shims for other cranks and they were too wide for this one. I also measured the spindle diameter and inner diameter of the standard raceface spacer already on there to be 21.5mm. This is from a 2017 so maybe older aeffect cranks had a different spindle size? Its a buddy’s bike so i am not as familiar with it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had a helluva time with my aeffect cranks and spacing. I could get rid of the play with a Race Face shim but then then crank would not spin freely. I tried so many combinations of shims on both the drive side and non-drive side that it made my head spin.

In the end, the only thing that took out the play and let it spin freely was to use a Race Face X-type bottom bracket with one shim on the Non-drive side (there is also a rubber piece and a white spacer on the NDS but keep those on) and only the stopper on the drive side with the shim that is on the stopper removed (when the shim is removed from the stopper, it should have a small round lip that fits right into the hole of the bottom bracket). I was not able to solve this problem with a Shimano bottom bracket.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks its validating to hear i am not the only one with this issue. Interestingly, on one attempt i forgot to use the standard spacer (also heard it called a seal) with the red stripe and that time there was no play. I noticed the spacer, figured i had it solved otherwise, reinstalled with the spacer and back to ~.5mm of play. Now with the full drivetrain installed the play has not disappeared but is only noticeable to a very careful hand check so i think it will be fine to ride.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,534 Posts
I will check again. But i have 24mm shims for other cranks and they were too wide for this one. I also measured the spindle diameter and inner diameter of the standard raceface spacer already on there to be 21.5mm. This is from a 2017 so maybe older aeffect cranks had a different spindle size? Its a buddy's bike so i am not as familiar with it.
It's 24mm. I have an Aeffect crank from 2017. 24mm is the Shimano spindle standard, there is no 21.5mm spindle standard for MTB that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i followed the diagram with the red line
It's 24mm. I have an Aeffect crank from 2017. 24mm is the Shimano spindle standard, there is no 21.5mm spindle standard for MTB that I'm aware of.
yeah i hear ya. I have 24mm shims and they were way too big. Or i was too tired and made a mistake. Thanks for the input, i will check again to make sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.