Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK before I start this is related to my roadie so please excuse me. I feel people here have much better knowledge than Roadbikereview on wheels.

Here is the story. I have a set of Hugi 240 wheels with Mavic CXP33 using Revos 32 spokes 3 cross for my road bike. I built these when I knew little about wheels other than 32 spokes 3 cross…… think MTB.

The rear hub is the original Hugi 240 that uses a shorter spacer on the NDS to achieve a 130mm spacing. The result is that the spoke tension difference between the DS and NDS is huge. While they have done around 16000km in 18months without any real issues, I have found that they are not the stiffest of wheels because of the lack of tension on the NDS. Moreover because of the lack of tension the spoke tend to ping a little while riding. (Hugi has actually introduced a Hugi 240 Road with difference dimension to reduce the difference in tension).

I am wondering if I could say put 2 cross on the NDS to increase the spoke tension on the NDS to make a stiffer rear wheel while staying with Revos on both sides.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
WOY said:
OK before I start this is related to my roadie so please excuse me. I feel people here have much better knowledge than Roadbikereview on wheels.

Here is the story. I have a set of Hugi 240 wheels with Mavic CXP33 using Revos 32 spokes 3 cross for my road bike. I built these when I knew little about wheels other than 32 spokes 3 cross…… think MTB.

The rear hub is the original Hugi 240 that uses a shorter spacer on the NDS to achieve a 130mm spacing. The result is that the spoke tension difference between the DS and NDS is huge. While they have done around 16000km in 18months without any real issues, I have found that they are not the stiffest of wheels because of the lack of tension on the NDS. Moreover because of the lack of tension the spoke tend to ping a little while riding. (Hugi has actually introduced a Hugi 240 Road with difference dimension to reduce the difference in tension).

I am wondering if I could say put 2 cross on the NDS to increase the spoke tension on the NDS to make a stiffer rear wheel while staying with Revos on both sides.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Wayne
The axle spacing does have a bit to do with the tension difference and lack of wheel "stiffness" but the longer spokes and larger diameter rim are the main culprits.

I have built most of my rim brake wheels (road and mtb) 3x right, 2x left and it does make a noticeably stiffer feel in the ride of the wheel.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shiggy

Will get some shorter Revos and relace half the wheel.

Cheers
Wayne

·
Registered
180 Posts
More lacing information please

shiggy©®™ said:
The axle spacing does have a bit to do with the tension difference and lack of wheel "stiffness" but the longer spokes and larger diameter rim are the main culprits.

I have built most of my rim brake wheels (road and mtb) 3x right, 2x left and it does make a noticeably stiffer feel in the ride of the wheel.
I have the exact same problem on my mountain bike. Can you please give an e-mail address which explains lacing?

Thanks

Dirk

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
if you wanna even the tension, run all the spokes on the NDS heads-out/bends in. Can shorten the spokes a bit and crank up the tension and get less dish. Enough so to make up for the narrowed spoke base's reduction in lateral stiffness.

As to a 3x DS/2x NDS, its not going to make any difference just from reducing the spoke length. Even going radial, the difference between and all heads-in radial lacing and an interleaved 3x lacing on a shimano hub is only about 3% in lateral stiffness and 0.1% in radial stiffness (for identical tension wheels). You have to alter the tension dramatically to affect the stiffness of the wheel.

That's one of the reasons twist-lacing remains popular with some wheelbuilders. Can run really high tension on the NDS and still keep an interleaved cross lacing at the flange.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How about in on the NDS, out on the DS?

Have you tried bends in on the NDS, and bends out on the DS hub? It seems this would make the leverage ratios the closest.

Dirkfh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts