Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been reading a bunch of the threads here to try to get some information on buying a bike. So far I've read the general consensus is to go for a hardtail when spending under 1000 or someting along this line. ANYHOW I'm pretty torn as to what direction I shold move towards. I've been looking at Specialized Ironhorse and Diamondback

I've kinda thrown ironhorse out of the picture and am now leaning towards getting either an 06 Hardrock Pro Disc (595 cdn), 07 Rockhopper Comp Disc(695 cdn), and then i also saw this Diamondback Recoil Comp for 699, i've been kind of leaning towards the rock hopper but I'm not sure if i should go for this diamondback, as it has full suspension but the parts don't look that bad.

anyhow any advise is greatly appreciated, I hope to get a bike soon so i can really start riding :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, that's exactly where i'm totally lost, the shocks seem to be pretty good. I was thinking i could buy that bike and then just upgrade components later on down the road. however i'm still wondering about the frame and quality. I do know that they give a life time warranty on frame but you can never be too sure

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, I was wondering also if anyone else had soem suggestions as to what I should do. Perhaps some different models i should look into? originally i was going to spend roguhtly bout 300, but now i've decided i'm going to probably be sticking to the 700 dollar range. I believe that most of the riding i do will be XC but perhaps some downhill later on. My main concern is that i want someting that will last, have lots of potential to upgrade in the future also

·
Registered
249 Posts
XC and DH require very different bikes. What works for XC doesn't generally work well for DH and vice versa. Dh bikes are fairly specialized for thier purpose, they're heavy and don't climb well. XC bikes are generally lighter, stiffer for better climbing but not as strong. You can upgrade all you want but buying individual parts can become more expensive than a bike quickly. All bikes can be upgraded to top end stuff if you really wanted but at some point in time it's just not worth it. Most hard tails are XC bikes and almost all but the full race top end bikes will take a fair amount of abuse. Just buy a bike locally that fits you, that is the most important step.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, I was just talking to a friend of mine, he says that we would probably be doing XC, so interms of a bike for XC do you have any recommendations for me in that price range? i've checked out the hardrock, since my friend has that an 06 model, yet I am totally clueless when it comes to components and features

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to admit I'm pretty skeptical about that diamondback too. It seems too good to be true, so I would proceed with caution there. Also, you said the diamondback is being sold at Costco, correct? I would be concerned about their assembly team since it is just another super-chain store.

Suggestions, well I have recently tried out the Giant Yukon disc and like that, and the Rockhoppers are great hardtails for the cash. Otherwise, just buy what you feel most comfortable on.

I ride a K2 Zed and love it. Its basically your call.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
yeah most bikes from major brands in a set price range are fairly simular there is really no clear frontrunner that everyone says is the best...if that were the case we would all be riding the same bike..you just have to decide which one fits your budget and that you like the feel of the best...

I chose the 08 hardrock because it fit my budget and felt good when riding. Everything has held up well through a hard summer of riding so far....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, check to see what bike stores are in your area. I went to the LBS and after I wrote down a list of bikes I wanted and they narrowed them down (of what was in stock) they let me "test ride" them. That is how I chose my bike. Some might seem uncomfortable to you or just right.

I also would agree with the Yukon. That was one from my "list":thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the thing, I was reading that the Yukon was very good, and the full suspension model is supposed to be good. Now comparing with the Diamondback, it seems that the diamondback has better shocks. One thing I'm wondering about the diamondback is the design of the frame. The Yukon FX has the shock in a different positioning as the diamondback. Does anyone have information as to the positioning of rear shocks and how they play in performance?

In terms of different models, I checked out a store that is selling a Haro Flightline Comp with full deore components for 649. The cool thing about the store is that they said tehy offer lifetime setup on the bikes they sell. An issue i was thinking about was that the frame warranty is only 5years on haro opposed to lifetime on DB, Specialized, Cannondale, etc

A different store I checked has very informative sales people and have a large selection of specialized / cannondale / rocky mountain, yet i found the prices much higher. since the rockhopper i was originally considering was a clearance model

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are looking for a hardtail with a budget of < $1k, you have a good number of options.

I would take a look at the following:
  • Cannondale F7-F4
  • Specialized Rockhopper [Comp/Pro]
  • Gary Fisher Piranha (may be hard to find)
  • Trek 4300-6000
I suggest start off with a good frame with a good fit as the components can always be upgraded.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
413 Posts
For a hardtail look at the Gary Fisher Tassajara. pretty good parts spec for the money.

Also keep in mind that in the next few months most bike shops will have closeout sales as they try to get rid of all their 08 bikes and make room for the 09 models. might be worth asking a sales rep about.

My riding partner got the bike I mentioned above for 725.00 as a closeout. last september.

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you know what size bike you take, you might want to look at eBay if you've got a bit of patience. I just picked up an 06' Ironhorse Azure Comp w/ 31 miles on it for $711!! Granted, IH may not have the appeal of other brands, but it's their top-of-the-line XC bike and I've been nothing but tickled by it so far. Deals like this are not unheard of if you have a little patience and do your homework. IMHO, get an XT or X7 or better rear derailleur, Fox rear shock, and the rest is basically a crap shoot depending on how much you want to spend. BTW, I almost got that Giant b/c it got excellent reviews and is a great value for the money. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I was just going to post, I was looking at used bikes and I saw lots of bikes for roughly 750, in my province there is a 03 kona stinky for 750 and a cannondale prophet 600 for teh same price in a diff city. What is the opinion of buying a used bike that is much older?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It comes down to condition/use. Obviously, you wouldn't want to buy an old DH rig that's been beaten silly/neglected for years. You usually can get a pretty good idea from the pics as to the condition. I think a used bike is a great way to get your feet wet w/o spending a ton of dough. You can usually get more bike for the $$.
Keep in mind the suspension technology has evolved over the years; don't get caught buying an old Proflex or something. FS has really come a long way. Though it's cheap, the Mongoose Otero Super is really a good deal and comparable to $1500 FS from a few years ago.
If it were me, I'd set a price limit and find the best used bike you can. After a few months use, it's going to be dinged up anyway. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm interesting. There is this Cannondale Prophet 600 that I'm very interested in, except I'm having problems understanding if it will fit me well. I contacted the poster he said he is 5'7 (same height as me) and said that it fits him perfectly. I however am a bit skeptical as to the sizing of cannondale bikes, and I'm not sure if I should be looking into a medium instead. Does anyone know if this small size will fit me?

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
I looked real quick at the geo of my hardrock compared to the prophet and everything seemed to be bigger on the small than on my 15" hardrock.

TT=HR(56.5in) P(57.5)
Seat tube=HR(38.1) P(40.5)

Heres the link to the two
HArdrock(http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Hardrock)
Prophet(http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/06/geo-6.html)

I am 5'7 also and wish my hardrock was a tad bigger but it was 15 or 17 and the 17 was way to big so id say that small prophet would be perfect for someone about our sized like the seller said...Just my opinion

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.