Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and thanks for having me! :)

I am trying to get back into biking after several years of not riding at all. I need a good consistent cardio workout and I have tried the treadmill thing... wayyyy too boring for me. I am about 30 pounds overweight but still in decent condition. I play softball a couple nights a week and coach my son's baseball and football teams. Enough about that.

I currently have a Univega Aplina 602S circa 1999(?) in for a tune-up and I was browsing other bikes while I was there. I was wondering if I should just upgrade the components on that bike or just buy a new bike. Generally money isn't an issue but my ability to ride the bike without much ado or maintenance will probably aid in using it more. I would consider spending up to $2,000 on a new bike or to replace the stock components.

I live in northwest suburban Chicago and I am not very familiar with many "mountain bike" trails near here. I went to Kettle Moraine a number of years ago and had a blast. 90%+ of my riding now will be the local forest preserves which tend to be pretty flat.

Thanks for any advice and please ask any clarifying questions that will help me get to what I need/want.

Take care,

Elmer

·
Registered
454 Posts
What brands are you considering??

What brands are available to you locally?? The shop you work with should be some factor anyway. Stay with a good shop that will support you. I chose a Kona partially because the shop was small, the owner was always there and remembered me by name. They also have a trade in policy that was better than I had heard of. They identified quickly that I knew a thing or two and didn't waste my time explaining what a disk brake was. Anyway if you want to stay more on a budget maybe a hardtail with a decent front fork would suit your riding style. You will generally get a better component group for the money if you don't get a full suspension bike. As I stated I am a Kona owner. For your price range in a Kona I would suggest a Kula Delux, Nice component group and Fox fork or a fully suspended Kikapu delux with a pretty decent group. Check them out at www.konaworld.com.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Pick a couple that fit and then check back.

Finding a good local bike shop or two that you are comfortable with is step one. Listen to the sales pitches and let them fit you on a few models that interest you. Then come back for a translation.

There are a hundred or so options in the 2 grand ballpark so asking such a broad question will not result in the help you need. You will need to decide if you want a hardtail or full suspension too!

Generally trying to upgrade a bike that is that old is not worth the $$ - keep it as a backup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.