Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I've decided that I'll go clipless...finally.

I know next to nothing about clipless pedals...what do you guys suggest if I don't want to drop a bunch o $$$?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Make sure the shoe you use has no interference with the engagement. Otherwise, you will have a hard time getting in, and worse, getting out. Tighten the cleat really well to to shoe when you install them.

Set em really loose and literally sit on your bike for several minutes clipping in and out repeating till you are sick of it.

Some people wear one pedal clipped in and one regular shoe to get used to it. Sounds silly but not a bad idea. The failure mode is usually one stopping and forgetting they are latched in, then tipping over.

Bottom line is to be conscious of your pedals till you get instinctive about disengaging. Don't ride super tech trails till you are proficient.

What pedal you get really doesn't matter that much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hardest thing is finding a shoe in a size 14 that is decent and not overpriced.

I'm a wee bit wary about being clipped in while on trails and such...I suppse it will become second nature eventually, right? Are they easy to use...getting in and or out in a hurry if necessary?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
horax said:
I'm a wee bit wary about being clipped in while on trails and such...I suppse it will become second nature eventually, right? Are they easy to use...getting in and or out in a hurry if necessary?
Oh yes... the twist to unclip will quickly become second nature. Believe me, you can unclip in a hurry if you want to!

Sometimes when I am not too sure about a technical section I find myself unclipping without even thinking about it... my subconcious can be really sneaky!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
horax said:
The hardest thing is finding a shoe in a size 14 that is decent and not overpriced.

Size 48 right:
Here's one in stock:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=14334&category=2225
or these:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=14335&category=2225
Use Shoe20 for 20% off.

or these:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13...33-Shoes/Mountain/Sette-Element-MTB-Shoes.htm

·
what nice teeth you have
712 Posts
If you go with shimano I would reccomend the sh-56 multi release cleats over the sh-51 single release cleats. The sh-56 cleats are good for xc and general riding but a big no no for jumping and fr/dh. The single release cleats only release when twisted to the side. The multi's also release by twisting but will also pull straight out if you yank hard enough. Started using them last august and think they are great. They won't pull out from general pedalling or riding technical terrain. They do help if you get in jam and need to get out fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.