Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just looking for feedback and opinions. I ride a SC Nomad. 80% of my riding is xc\backcountry exploring, 10% shuttle runs and 10% bikepark.
I'm wanting to get into a new wheelset for 2 reasons - 1 being the feel and flat protection -the other is to shave some weight off my bike. Currenty riding mavic 321's with wtb 20mm hub in the front, deorext rear hub. I run Nevegals 2.35s and really like them.

I'm considering the Mavic Crossmax SX, and Crossmax ST and some form of uberlight 11-34 cassette.

Pro's\Cons? If i understand correctly, i won't get much weight savings if I run UST tires as they are heavier.

should I be considering Stan's Flow's instead?
ideas for me?
I'm figuring that I'll be spending a 1000 bucks or so.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
bikeriderguy said:
Hi All,
Just looking for feedback and opinions. I ride a SC Nomad. 80% of my riding is xc\backcountry exploring, 10% shuttle runs and 10% bikepark.
I'm wanting to get into a new wheelset for 2 reasons - 1 being the feel and flat protection -the other is to shave some weight off my bike. Currenty riding mavic 321's with wtb 20mm hub in the front, deorext rear hub. I run Nevegals 2.35s and really like them.

I'm considering the Mavic Crossmax SX, and Crossmax ST and some form of uberlight 11-34 cassette.

Pro's\Cons? If i understand correctly, i won't get much weight savings if I run UST tires as they are heavier.

should I be considering Stan's Flow's instead?
ideas for me?
I'm figuring that I'll be spending a 1000 bucks or so.
Buying prefab wheelsets using proprietary parts such as the Mavic Crossmax have no pro's IMO. For the same price you can get a top quality hand built wheelset that will be as strong and light but be serviceable with easy to get parts from the LBS.

If you want true UST, the Mavic XM819 rim built up with top quality hubs from DT, Hope, King, or Hadley will fit into your budget and work with 2.35" tires. If you want a wider rim and want to try running standard tires tubeless, the Stans Flow rim would be an excellent choice.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Buying prefab wheelsets using proprietary parts such as the Mavic Crossmax have no pro's IMO. For the same price you can get a top quality hand built wheelset that will be as strong and light but be serviceable with easy to get parts from the LBS.
If you want true UST, the Mavic XM819 rim built up with top quality hubs from DT, Hope, King, or Hadley will fit into your budget and work with 2.35" tires. If you want a wider rim and want to try running standard tires tubeless, the Stans Flow rim would be an excellent choice.
What you said. There aren't many (any?) good reasons for factory pre-builts. Not for OUR benefit anyway.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
The difference in weight between tube vs. UST vs. Stans + goo is very negligible.

I would personally avoid proprietary wheels for the difficulty of getting spare spokes and stuff.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Easton Al Havoc, 1850g, 20mm or QR, wide rim, not tubless but could be with tape.

$399 at Jenson...just got me a pair and they are very well made.....LC(cheers)

PS: I also have a nomad, and Mavic SX wheels - strong and great quality, but they are made heavy for more DH duties.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I had the older Crossmax SX wheelset on my 2006 Nomad and it was a great wheelset. Yes the hubs needed regular maintenance, but it's not a big deal.

I now run the new version of the Crossmax SX wheelset on my Firebird and it's even better. A bit lighter but they seem just as stiff. The rear hub seems to be better quality with quicker engagement and so far not requiring maintenance as frequently.

As for the complaint about spokes that is just stupid. A good shop will carry spares, or be able to order them in. Order in a few spares so you've got them if something happens. It took me 2 1/2 years to break a spoke on the old SX wheelset. Do all shops carry all variations and lengths of regular J bend/straight pull steel and titanium spokes or have their own spoke cutting and threading tools?

I don't think the spoke argument should put anyone off buying a great UST ready wheelset.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would highly recommend calling Dave of Dave's Speed Dream Wheels. He will talk to you about your bike, riding style, etc. and make recommendations. He will build you a lightweight yet bulletproof wheelset and it will no doubt cost less that $1000.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
Although most shops will be able to order proprietary spokes, it can definitely take more time that traditional ones (Take I9 for instance...). Plus when your wheelset gets older, it get harder to find the spokes. Plus if you only want an UST rim, Mavic has options out there that use traditional spokes. Plus nobody said he should avoid them at all cost, we just don't believe it's worth it.

I had the older Crossmax SX wheelset on my 2006 Nomad and it was a great wheelset. Yes the hubs needed regular maintenance, but it's not a big deal.

I now run the new version of the Crossmax SX wheelset on my Firebird and it's even better. A bit lighter but they seem just as stiff. The rear hub seems to be better quality with quicker engagement and so far not requiring maintenance as frequently.

As for the complaint about spokes that is just stupid. A good shop will carry spares, or be able to order them in. Order in a few spares so you've got them if something happens. It took me 2 1/2 years to break a spoke on the old SX wheelset. Do all shops carry all variations and lengths of regular J bend/straight pull steel and titanium spokes or have their own spoke cutting and threading tools?

I don't think the spoke argument should put anyone off buying a great UST ready wheelset.:thumbsup:

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
With that budget you can pretty much get top shelf everything and have it handbuilt by a Pro. I like the Stans Flows/Mavic 819 and your hub of choice. Dave at speed dreams or Larry at mountain high cyclery will handbuild them and you will a happy camper. Pretty much agreeing with mtbiker72 and Comrade. I would definately go hand built by a pro. Huge differance in lifetime of wheel with lower maintenance IMO and experience.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
+1 on handbuilt

Just make sure you get a nice wide rim....that way you can change tyres to a fat-arse DH style tread if you do a whole day of shuttle runs, then swap back to some wide XC style rubber for the normal trail riding.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts

Yeah pretty much same here...

The same guys rant on and on about getting a pro built wheel, cause no-one stocks mavic spokes...

Havn't found a shop around here that doesn't have mavic spokes in stock.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey thanks guys - there's some great feedback here - lots too think about!. I appreciate everyone jumping with their experience on this topic. As you can tell i'm don't really know what I want yet - just trying to get ideas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.