Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a large RFX and will be running a bash guard and 11-34. I have an XO rear DR still in the box and I am wondering if I should return it for a medium cage. Is there any advantage to doing this? Disadvantages?
Thanks

Sure is quite in the Turner forum these days. Must be the heat.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Are you running a single ring in the front?? If so, keep the short cage. If you are running a double/bash set up in the front, get the medium cage.

The max chain wrap capacity of the short cage is ~ 30, your rear cluster is 23 and your suspension movement will take up a couple more chain links at full compression. If you miss/forget a shift while running a double up front w/ a short cage, you WILL rip your der. off at the knuckle.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must....have..carbon......

I guess I forgot to say above that I am running XT hollow tech II cranks, minus the outer ring. So, I take it there is no point in keeping the long cage DR if i plan to never use the big ring?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Sorry I assumed that you had the short cage (i forgot that poeple use LONG cages, i have not used one for a long time).

So to answer the question, as other have said, definately swap for the mid cage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.