Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a 04 Spec Enduro, and thinking I want something a little tougher and plusher for lite freeride (now doing 4' to flat, hoping to up that a foot or two this year). Can only have one bike, and was thinking a Coiler could handle all-mountain XC (I'm not a racer) and 6' drops. Local shop has new '05 for $1400.

Any advice, recommendations, cautions? Do Coiler riders love their bikes - none of my friends have one. Thanks!

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
benoksanen said:
I currently ride a 04 Spec Enduro, and thinking I want something a little tougher and plusher for lite freeride (now doing 4' to flat, hoping to up that a foot or two this year). Can only have one bike, and was thinking a Coiler could handle all-mountain XC (I'm not a racer) and 6' drops. Local shop has new '05 for $1400.

Any advice, recommendations, cautions? Do Coiler riders love their bikes - none of my friends have one. Thanks!
The Coiler is a great "all arounder" if you ask me. I love mine (05 Coiler Primo). My decision came down to the Enduro class SXT and the Coiler Primo. The SXT had a LOT longer wheelbase, bolt on rear wheel, etc. that didn't impress me (5th elements worry me too). I also looked at the 05 regular Enduro but was wary of the 5th element air shock (06's now have Fox Floats/DHX air). I won't kid you, the Coiler is no light weight! But it hauled my 215 lbs. rump up (and DOWN!!) Laurel Mtn and Bennet Gap in Pisgah, along with doing lift assisted runs at Keystone Ski Resort in Colorado this summer. So it runs the gammit between heavy/aggressive XC'er and light duty DH'er. The propedal makes it climb like a lighter bike (you won't be the first dude up the mountain unless you are in uber-shape but you'll smoke your XC bound friends to the bottom)!! Mine came with the Marzocchi 66RC on the front and I really like it...if yours would be a Deelux or standard equiped Coiler, I think it comes with a Drop Off series fork?? I know at least one pal that had an issue with a loud top out CLUNK on this series of forks...just something to check. Another thing...any chance you can put a DHX 5.0 or other coil shock and a coil fork on the enduro to get a plusher feel out of it? Might be a cheaper way to go and you'd stay on a bike that is familiar to you....

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
The coiler will be a more abusable bike than the Enduro. Do yourself a huge favor, and upgrade the front fork to a Z-1, or something comparable right from the get go. This will make all the difference in ride quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts