Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
get down!
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a cool little city bike for my roommate and I just got a set of premade Bontrager wheels. They have a blueish/grey anodizing that I want to take off via oven cleaner. What do you guys think? They are disc wheels so I'm not so worried about the rim strength after (and since I won't leave it on very long) mostly concerned about the nipples and being able to true the wheels afterwards..like if the nipples corrode or whatever. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
appleSSeed said:
I'm building up a cool little city bike for my roommate and I just got a set of premade Bontrager wheels. They have a blueish/grey anodizing that I want to take off via oven cleaner. What do you guys think? They are disc wheels so I'm not so worried about the rim strength after (and since I won't leave it on very long) mostly concerned about the nipples and being able to true the wheels afterwards..like if the nipples corrode or whatever. Thanks in advance.
Do not do it. You will never get all of the oven cleaner out and the stripped rims will just oxidize and look greyish anyway. Polishing a built rim is not easy.

·
up n over
407 Posts
I polished my trials frame etc (EVERY PART). It looked soooo dope for a week. Then it was upkeep. And a trials bike doesn't see dirty street mileage, I could just imagine how much worse it could be on a commuter/ distance bike...
Never again.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I woudln't

appleSSeed said:
... unless you disassemble them... and if they don't have brass eyelets. EZ-Off will probably do crazy things to brass.

That said, I've done a lot of EZ-Off silver parts in my time, and it works out great. It just etches off the top thousandth of a mm, then you polish that away. You will have to re-polish them from time to time as the aluminum oxidizes. Aluminum oxidizes in a way that it seals itself, unlike iron or steel rust which just keeps on going until the metal is gone.

Use Simichrome or other metal polish that leaves a protective coating when you are done, and the silver finish stays bright for a while. You'll have to buff it up from time to time.

I did my H-Bars and stem in EZ-Off silver, as well as a bunch of other parts.

Oh yeah, I did my seatpost too!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have done accessory parts over the years as well. I have never had any issues with metal fatigue after, though I have not done a wheel (probably best to take the wheels apart). Oven cleaner works very well, wear gloves, and as noted above polish with something afterwards (I am partial to turtle wax) to keep it shinning bright.

·
Fat & Single
4,176 Posts
I have done many BMX rims (still built) with a glass bead blaster to remove ano and sometimes rust, just tape the nipples with masking tape. The latest item i did was my KCNC SC WING stem to go on my raw One9 , it turned out really well .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.